how to persuade my brother to get us a brushcutter?

Old September 10th 12, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default how to persuade my brother to get us a brushcutter?

We really need one as I cannot get to the tap to water for bindweed and
nettles and the paths are horrible uneven between the beds.
I've offered to pay half and he says "just beat them down with a fork"
My problem is that I've been diagnosed with osteoporosis, and broke my ankle
from merely crouching to load my woodburner. So I don't want to chance
uneven in case I do it again.

Old September 10th 12, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
We really need one as I cannot get to the tap to water for bindweed and
nettles and the paths are horrible uneven between the beds.
I've offered to pay half and he says "just beat them down with a fork"
My problem is that I've been diagnosed with osteoporosis, and broke my
ankle from merely crouching to load my woodburner. So I don't want to
chance uneven in case I do it again.

Please ignore, wrong group.

Old September 10th 12, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
We really need one as I cannot get to the tap to water for bindweed and
nettles and the paths are horrible uneven between the beds.
I've offered to pay half and he says "just beat them down with a fork"
My problem is that I've been diagnosed with osteoporosis, and broke my
ankle from merely crouching to load my woodburner. So I don't want to
chance uneven in case I do it again.

Please ignore, wrong group.

I hope the right group comes up with something to help you.

Joy

Old September 11th 12, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

We really need one as I cannot get to the tap to water for bindweed and
nettles and the paths are horrible uneven between the beds.
I've offered to pay half and he says "just beat them down with a fork"
My problem is that I've been diagnosed with osteoporosis, and broke my ankle
from merely crouching to load my woodburner. So I don't want to chance
uneven in case I do it again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know you said this is the wrong group. However...Is there anyone in your
area who will do this work for a fee? We have companies and individuals
here who do a lot of business bush hogging (the term used here--not sure if
you use the same term). It's a lot cheaper than buying the equipment, and
they do the work. My father had walk-behind brush cutter that he used for
the type of work you described, but I was trying to think of an alternative
since it appears that your brother may not help. I agree that it would be
both foolish and dangerous for you to undertake that type of work.

MaryL

Old September 12th 12, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

As he is using my paddock (that cost me half as much as my house back in the
day) to grown organic veggies for his family. I expect him to do most of
the manual work. I would even pay half the cost of the brushcutter as it's
really important for me to see an uneven path not covered by weeds.
He has very a well paid job, and could easily afford a brushcutter.
I paid for a lot of the seeds and it was only me that weeded but he takes
too much of the crop :-(
He's always been spoilt. He's the youngest child of the family.

That's over now. Either he agrees to get a brushcutter so I can see uneven
ground when every weed known to mankind is covering the bare paths we made
in March or I change the padlock on the gate.
Do you think that's unreasonable?
If I break my other ankle, I could not tolerate it. All 2011 was taken up
with fractures. Not only are they very painful but disabling.
If I broke another bone I really might, as they say in the SF books
"self-terminate"
Tweed

Old September 12th 12, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think that's *very* reasonable. He's getting a great bargain, and (IMO)
he needs to learn to be less stubborn and more flexible. That would be true
even if you only wanted it for convenience. In your case, though, it's more
than convenience; I would consider it essential to your health.

MaryL

Old September 13th 12, 09:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

I think it's reasonable, too. Never mind stubborn, how about a little
less stingy and self-centered?? I mean, he's your brother, so you have to
deal with him as he is, but seriously? He can't buy you a damn brushcutter?
With all the broken bones you've had, how can he even think about letting
you be at risk like that? Especially since he can afford it. THis kind of
thing really bugs me. I hope he'll change his mind and decide to do the
decent thing.

--
Joyce

God's original plan was to hang out in a garden with some naked
vegetarians.
-- Seen on a wall poster
Old September 15th 12, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

We really need a brushcutter. We also need a rotavator if we're going to
make success of this.
He doesn't seem able to understand how scared I am to break another ankle if
he cannot be bothered to clear the weeds so I don't turn another.
I broke tib & fib and 3 ankle bones just loading my woodburner turning my
ankle over smashed the whole thing.