How do I put that solution into Scooter's ears?

Old September 13th 12, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default How do I put that solution into Scooter's ears?

Scooter has developed a lot of scabs around his head lately. I took
him to the vet yesterday morning (the same day that Espy later died)
and the vet thinks that there was a lot of gunk in Scooter's ears and
cleaned them with QTips. Then he gave me two things, a bottle of some
solution that I need to get in his ears and then use QTips to clean,
and an ointment to follow it.

Last night was a bit crazy with Espy dying but I tried to get the
stuff into one of Scooter's ears and he bolted of course. I didn't
press the matter, but I'm going to have to get this stuff into his
ears.

Anyone ever do this type of thing. It appears to be a two person job,
with much protective covering.
Old September 13th 12, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-09-13 12:37 PM, dgk wrote:

Scooter has developed a lot of scabs around his head lately. I took
him to the vet yesterday morning (the same day that Espy later died)
and the vet thinks that there was a lot of gunk in Scooter's ears and
cleaned them with QTips. Then he gave me two things, a bottle of some
solution that I need to get in his ears and then use QTips to clean,
and an ointment to follow it.

Last night was a bit crazy with Espy dying but I tried to get the
stuff into one of Scooter's ears and he bolted of course. I didn't
press the matter, but I'm going to have to get this stuff into his
ears.

Anyone ever do this type of thing. It appears to be a two person job,
with much protective covering.

Oh, that sounds like fun!!

I once had to do the part where you put the drops in the cat's ears. I
can tell you that the next step is that the cat shakes her head and all
the drops fly out again.

I think you're definitely going to need protective clothing.

--
Cheryl
Old September 13th 12, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On 2012-09-13 12:37 PM, dgk wrote:

[...]

Oh yes, one of my friends mentioned the liquid flying. It definitely
sounds like a bathroom operation. And I have to do BOTH ears. This is
going to get ugly real fast. And, at least for me, probably painful
and bloody.
Old September 15th 12, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"dgk" wrote in message

Scooter has developed a lot of scabs around his head lately. I took
him to the vet yesterday morning (the same day that Espy later died)
and the vet thinks that there was a lot of gunk in Scooter's ears and
cleaned them with QTips. Then he gave me two things, a bottle of some
solution that I need to get in his ears and then use QTips to clean,
and an ointment to follow it.

Last night was a bit crazy with Espy dying but I tried to get the
stuff into one of Scooter's ears and he bolted of course. I didn't
press the matter, but I'm going to have to get this stuff into his
ears.

Anyone ever do this type of thing. It appears to be a two person job,
with much protective covering.

Yep, this will definitely be a two person job with protective covering for
the one holding the cat. When KFC got very old and stopped grooming
herself, I used to have to get June to help me pluck out her matted bits,
all geared up with leather gloves. It also helps if you cover their face
with a towel so they don't see you coming, just peel it back for each ear.
You now have the disadvantage that he knows what you are up to. Good luck.
Even putting a spot-on on Boyfie is a two person job because he gets
suspicious if I part his neck fur while he is on my lap and runs off.
Tweed

Old September 16th 12, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

Yep, this will definitely be a two person job with protective covering for
the one holding the cat. When KFC got very old and stopped grooming
herself, I used to have to get June to help me pluck out her matted bits,
all geared up with leather gloves. It also helps if you cover their face
with a towel so they don't see you coming, just peel it back for each ear.
You now have the disadvantage that he knows what you are up to. Good luck.
Even putting a spot-on on Boyfie is a two person job because he gets
suspicious if I part his neck fur while he is on my lap and runs off.

Licky has a sixth sense for when I'm about apply Advantage. So even if
I'm walking nonchalantly around, picking up stuff and putting them away,
doing little chores, etc, he's watching me like a hawk.

I have managed to catch him unawares, and what I do in that case is
grab the back of his neck as quickly as possible. He's usually curled
up, but with me grasping his neck, he's much less likely to bolt. Then
I can take the tube out of my pocket with my other hand, remove the
cap (with the same hand), and quickly apply it. It's a challenge, but
I've been successful most of the time.

It's essential that I do Licky first. Once Roxy smells like Advantage,
I won't be able to get near Licky. Whereas Roxy isn't too hard to catch
even when she knows what's going on. She gives me a bit of a chase, but
she gives up quickly.

It's amazing how quickly the both forgive me. I kind of wish they'd
hold the grudge a little longer, though because they smell terrible.

--
Joyce

God's original plan was to hang out in a garden with some naked
vegetarians.
-- Seen on a wall poster
Old September 16th 12, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

dgk wrote:

Scooter has developed a lot of scabs around his head lately. I took
him to the vet yesterday morning (the same day that Espy later died)
and the vet thinks that there was a lot of gunk in Scooter's ears and
cleaned them with QTips. Then he gave me two things, a bottle of some
solution that I need to get in his ears and then use QTips to clean,
and an ointment to follow it.

Last night was a bit crazy with Espy dying but I tried to get the
stuff into one of Scooter's ears and he bolted of course. I didn't
press the matter, but I'm going to have to get this stuff into his
ears.

Anyone ever do this type of thing. It appears to be a two person job,
with much protective covering.

After you give him his ear medicine, you have to build him a huge cat
tower made of boxes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI9W_VdV1l0&feature=plcp

Old September 17th 12, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:03:31 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I'm worried about him getting ****ed at me. I did manage to squirt
some of the liquid into one ear but maybe the living room isn't the
best place since the resulting shower was a bit of a mess. I didn't
get to use the QTip to clean it out though.
Old September 18th 12, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

I'm worried about him getting ****ed at me. I did manage to squirt
some of the liquid into one ear but maybe the living room isn't the
best place since the resulting shower was a bit of a mess. I didn't
get to use the QTip to clean it out though.

Get someone to help you if you can, otherwise the vet nurse.
Don't worry about him getting p*ssed with you, it's for his own good. He
will forgive you in two days.

Old September 18th 12, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:

I'm worried about him getting ****ed at me. I did manage to squirt
some of the liquid into one ear but maybe the living room isn't the
best place since the resulting shower was a bit of a mess. I didn't
get to use the QTip to clean it out though.

Get someone to help you if you can, otherwise the vet nurse.
Don't worry about him getting p*ssed with you, it's for his own good. He
will forgive you in two days.

Two days? Wow, your cats have a much longer attention span than mine.

--
Joyce

A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.
Old September 18th 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message

wrote:

I'm worried about him getting ****ed at me. I did manage to squirt
some of the liquid into one ear but maybe the living room isn't the
best place since the resulting shower was a bit of a mess. I didn't
get to use the QTip to clean it out though.

Get someone to help you if you can, otherwise the vet nurse.
Don't worry about him getting p*ssed with you, it's for his own good.
He
will forgive you in two days.

Two days? Wow, your cats have a much longer attention span than mine.

Simon is back on the suss list, having once helped (how long ago now?) with
spot on application.
Going into Boyfie's bedroom now scares him since I snatched him from his bed
to take him to TED recently. He has a very long memory.

Tweed