welcome home kitty

Old July 17th 14, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_4_]

Default welcome home kitty

Couple bringing crazed cat home after calling 911
The Associated Press
http://start.localnet.com/article.php?category=offbeat&article=4c11046881074 097afed95270a0f47b3'
DELAND, Fla. (AP) - A cat is heading back home after spending time in
quarantine following an attack on its central Florida owners that prompted a
911 call.

Police says the Russian blue cat named Kush went berserk inside a DeLand
home July 5, scratching owners Teresa and James Gregory on their arms and
legs. The couple retreated to a bedroom and called 911.

Kush was taken to an animal shelter for 10 days. The Daytona News-Journal
(http://bit.ly/1nzDOES) reports Kush was well-behaved during the quarantine.

DeLand animal control officer Michelle Realander says the Gregorys had been
leaning toward giving the cat up, but changed their minds. She says the cat
will go to a veterinarian for vaccinations and then to be spayed before
going home.

Authorities say the cat was apparently well-behaved before the attack.

Old July 17th 14, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/17/2014 10:17 AM, Matt Ferrari wrote:
[...]

I have to wonder why the cat wasn't spayed in the first place.

I can certainly understand Kush being upset first because the woman
stepped on her tail, which obviously hurt so Kush lashed out at the
first available target, the husband. Then, they locked the cat in the
bathroom as "punishment". You can't punish a cat for reacting to pain
and expect everything to be hunky dory.

Jill
Old July 17th 14, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack G.

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:33:57 AM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Some people should be allowed to raise cats or children.
I hope this cat finds a good home.
Old July 17th 14, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/17/2014 11:42 AM, Jack G. wrote:
[...]

I suspect you meant to say *should not* be allowed. They're taking her
back home. Hopefully not to a room full of rocking chairs.

Jill
Old July 17th 14, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jack G. wrote:
Some people should be allowed to raise cats or children.
I hope this cat finds a good home.

You've got THAT right! Every summer, here in Arizona (where the outside
temperature reaches well into three figures Fahrenheit) you have people
who leave pets and children in closed automobiles while they go
shopping! Usually passersby will notice the kids, but the pets are
another story. (One police K-9 officer left his canine partner in a
locked car until the dog died - I think the cop was arrested.)
Old July 17th 14, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/17/2014 3:04 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Jack G. wrote:
Some people should be allowed to raise cats or children.
I hope this cat finds a good home.

You've got THAT right! Every summer, here in Arizona (where the outside
temperature reaches well into three figures Fahrenheit) you have people
who leave pets and children in closed automobiles while they go
shopping! Usually passersby will notice the kids, but the pets are
another story. (One police K-9 officer left his canine partner in a
locked car until the dog died - I think the cop was arrested.)

I don't understand why people take pets on shopping trips. If you want
to take your dog or cat for a ride in the car, do it. For them. Not if
you're just going to shut them in the car while you go shopping. That's
not fun. And it can be deadly.

Jill
Old July 18th 14, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Jack G. wrote:
Some people should be allowed to raise cats or children.
I hope this cat finds a good home.

You've got THAT right! Every summer, here in Arizona (where the outside
temperature reaches well into three figures Fahrenheit) you have people
who leave pets and children in closed automobiles while they go
shopping! Usually passersby will notice the kids, but the pets are
another story. (One police K-9 officer left his canine partner in a
locked car until the dog died - I think the cop was arrested.)

I don't understand why people take pets on shopping trips. If you want
to take your dog or cat for a ride in the car, do it. For them. Not if
you're just going to shut them in the car while you go shopping. That's
not fun. And it can be deadly.

Jill

~~~~~~
Exactly! I never took my cats on a shopping trip (there's no point in
that), but I used to travel with my cat (when I only had one) from Texas to
Ohio. I did that when I visited my family for several weeks. When I was on
the road, I would go to a drive-thru for lunch and eat it in the car, with
the air conditioner running. I would make a *very fast* run to the restroom
and would leave the motor running with air conditioner--lock the car and
take and extra set of keys with me. It was so hot in Texas in the summer
that I would not take a chance of turning off the engine with my cat in the
car for even a few minutes. I also made some trips by plane with my cat. I
paid to keep her in the cabin with me, and I always had a fear that I would
leave her behind in the airport when I had been reading and got the call to
board the plane. In reality, I cannot imagine forgetting her, but I looped
a long belt through the handle on her carry case and over my arm. That way,
there was no possibility of walking off without her.

MaryL

Old July 18th 14, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/18/2014 4:09 PM, MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

When I went back to west TN to get Persia out of jail (I couldn't bear
keeping her boarded any longer, plus I needed more clothes and I wanted
my own car) John and I drove back. That route took us through
Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia at the beginning of summer. Hot
weather, for sure. We'd stopped for lunch and restroom breaks on the
way. Yes, we kept her in the locked car with the AC running. We ate
fast, let me tell you. I had also already figured out which hotels
chains along the route were pet-friendly. I can't think of any reason
to take a dog or a cat on a shopping trip.

Coincidentally, John just called. His neighbor was gone on an overnight
trip and took her cat with her. (Apparently she doesn't think a cat can
stand being alone for a day.) The kicker: she doesn't put her cat in a
carrier when she's driving. Guess what happened? She accidentally shut
the cat's tail in the car door. OMG, poor Yang!

Jill
Old July 18th 14, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

Ouch!!! That poor cat. I had my thumb slammed in a car door years ago, and
it was incredibly painful. I hope the tail wasn't permanently injured.

Now that I have more than one cat, I use a pet sitter when I go on a trip
(which is seldom). With more than one cat, they have companionship and I
think they are much happier when they can stay in their own environment. I
have used the same pet sitter for 9 or 10 years, and she is fabulous.

MaryL