Buffy has a Bladder Stone

Old January 5th 21, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Buffy has a Bladder Stone

She started acting a little "off" on Saturday. She didn't eat much. I
later noticed litter box problems, which is a new thing for as long as
I've had her. I thought she might be constipated as she appeared to be
straining and what little poop output there was was sometimes outside
the litter box. Urinary output was less than usual, too, even though
she usually drinks a plenty of of water. Then she started hiding. Uh
oh. Buffy rarely hides unless there is is a technician of some sort in
the house to fix something.

Long story short, I got an appointment at the vet this morning and
x-rays show she has a bladder stone. She's slightly dehydrated so they
gave her IV fluids. Also an antibiotic shot and an appetite stimulant.

The vet recommended we change her diet to a prescription one for a few
weeks. She said sometimes a small single bladder stone will dissolve by
itself with a change in diet. (Note: she asked me what I normally feed
Buffy and didn't have a problem with it.) We're hoping this stone will
go away without surgery.

Buffy came back acting like a new cat! It's almost like they gave her
happy pills or something. She's not hiding. She hopped out of the
carrier and drank some water. I poured some of the Rx kibble in her
dish and she went right for it. Could be the appetite stimulant shot
the vet gave her, could be she actually likes the food. (Here's hoping!
Persia always hated the Rx food she had to eat.) I was sent home with
some appetite stimulant capsules since Buffy hadn't really eaten much in
2 days. I'm to start sprinkling half a capsule on her food until she's
eating regularly again. And of course monitor her litterbox output.

She's been sitting in my lap several times since we got home. Not
hiding, not mad at me for taking her to get poked and prodded. She's
not exactly in the mood to bap a golf ball around the living room but
she's obviously feeling a heck of a lot better.

Jill
Old January 15th 21, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/14/2021 8:21 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

(snippage)
Jill

I'm so sorry I didn't pick this up earlier. Poor Buffy. How is she now?
I'm making a not to self to log in here daily, first thing. It's a poor
friend who doesn't check you're ok.

Judith

Don't worry about it, Judith! Buffy is so much better. No appetite
stimulant required to get her to eat. She has quite taken to the dry
kibble. The wet prescription food is the 'in gravy' type. She does
what she always did with that type of regular 'in gravy" food and lick
the gravy and leave the meat of the meal. That's not a success. But
she's feeling great, she's producing normal litter box output and she's
extremely playful.

She goes back for a follow-up x-ray to check on the bladder stone at the
end of the month. I am hoping the change in diet will have allowed the
stone to dissolve naturally. She sure acts like she feels good. All of
her bloodwork came back with great numbers. Slightly elevated levels of
something I can't pronounce which indicate UTI/Bladder stones. The food
seems to be helping immensely, for which I'm grateful. And she's eating
it, which is really important.

One interesting thing about this vet visit during Covid. No one was
allowed inside the lobby. Appointment made, wait in your car. They'll
pick up your pet in the parking lot. Like a 1950's car-hop. It seems
to be working.

I never in my life thought I'd see the day you had to sit in your car or
on a bench outside a veterinary clinic and have them come outside
wearing masks and gloves. I asked one of the vet techs as she was
walking by, did you ever imagine it would come to working like this?
She said "No," then looked at the little tent with the benches by the
front door where I was sitting and said, "I'm just glad we have nice
weather!"

Stupid virus has changed so many ways of dealing with things. But Buffy
is doing just fine. I'm sure she'll be given a clean bill of health at
her next appointment. Thanks for your good wishes, Judith.

Jill
Old January 15th 21, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan Mahoney[_2_]

I'm really glad Buffy seems to be doing well.

It is very strange going to the vet (or anywhere else) at the moment. We
had to sit outside in the car when we took Sootie for her check up and
Booster jabs last summer. It's a horrible feeling as they walk away with
your cat, then waiting for them to come back. We had good weather too.

Take care and I hope she gets that clean bill of health at her next
appointment.

Judith

Here it varies a lot by vet. When we go see our regular vet we have to
call in when we arrive; they get an exam room ready, then call us back
and we bring the kitty in and join the vet in the exam room.

But when Milton had an abscess Sunday we had to go to the emergency vet.
There we took Milton in to the check-in area and unloaded him into a
kennel, then we went back out to the car. The vet did the exam and
called us with her findings, we authorized the treatment, then we waited
for a call advising that Milton was ready to go. We gave them our credit
card info over the phone, then went in a got Milton.

Old January 15th 21, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/15/2021 4:00 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks! Times are really strange but it's nice to know they're working
to take care of our fur babies and to keep everyone safe. It did feel
weird having them carry her off and have to sit outside... tug at the
heart! Can't go in with her. I know you felt that with Sootie.

Buffy really does feel better. Her litterbox output is back to normal
and she's eating and drinking well. Hopefully this Rx food dissolved
the stone. Next vet visit will tell. I'll keep you posted but feel
very positive. Buffy certainly seems to.

Jill
Old January 15th 21, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/15/2021 4:44 PM, Dan Mahoney wrote:
[...]

I'm very sorry to hear about Milton's abscess. I do hope everything
works out well for him.

Dropping off Buffy was a bit like going to an old fashioned diner with
parking lot service. (If I was older I could have hoped for roller
skates.) It was decidedly different from any ever vet visit ever pre-Covid.

Purrs for Milton to feel better soon.

Jill
Old January 18th 21, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2021-01-15 6:14 p.m., Dan Mahoney wrote:
[...]

It seems to be standard here to call from the parking lot or knock on
the door, and then wait for them to call you to enter (although when I
was on foot in the rain, they let me in to sit on one of the two
remaining chairs in their reception area. When you bring your animal in,
they whisk it away into the back regions (the treatment rooms apparently
being too small for COVID separation). The vet might meet you in the
larger reception area to discuss the results, but is just as likely to
call you at home. I think from what my sister in another province told
me that they follow a similar procedure there.

I'm glad Buffy and Milton are doing well. Cinnamon seems surprisingly
well, really. I decided not to ship her away for iodine treatment, but
although her kidneys are bad, she seems to be doing well on the special
food. She's had follow-up tests since her diagnosis - next one is a
blood test in early February; probably just drop her in for a blood test
and then pick her up and take her home to await the results by phone
since the vet didn't say it needed a personal consultation. Last one was
a urine test that worked the same way.

--
Cheryl
Old January 19th 21, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/17/2021 8:46 PM, Cheryl wrote:
On 2021-01-15 6:14 p.m., Dan Mahoney wrote:
[...]

Â*It seems to be standard here to call from the parking lot or knock on
[...]

I'm glad to hear Cinnamon is doing well so far even without the iodine
treatment.

Everthing is different due to this pesky Covid situation.

I had a job interview via phone last week. We talked three times on
three different days at length, that was the actual interview. Today I
went to meet him at the office in person to finalize the details.
Wearing a mask. I met the receptionist and his son who has been filling
in until he heads back to University. And yes, I got the job.
Everything has changed in how things are being done.

I wonder if the world will ever get back to the way it used to be.

Jill
Old January 20th 21, 12:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2021-01-19 5:43 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

I'm glad to hear Cinnamon is doing well so far even without the iodine
treatment.

Everthing is different due to this pesky Covid situation.

I had a job interview via phone last week.Â* We talked three times on
three different days at length, that was the actual interview.Â* Today I
went to meet him at the office in person to finalize the details.
Wearing a mask.Â* I met the receptionist and his son who has been filling
in until he heads back to University.Â* And yes, I got the job.
Everything has changed in how things are being done.

I wonder if the world will ever get back to the way it used to be.

I don't know if it will, although I suppose some of the most annoying
restrictions will ease quickly enough. Like restrictions on the number
of people allowed in the vet reception area, and no one being allowed in
the examination room! Congratulations on the job! I retired a year ago,
just in time for a massive snowfall and state of emergency and then
COVID! Most of my co-workers have been working from home (previously
unheard of for us) since COVID started, although in February they will
be moving back. Apparently this isn't being done wholesale - people who
are sharing smallish offices have to work out a schedule so that they
aren't both (or all) in the same office for whatever is considered an
excessive amount of time. They're short of staff - I along with other
recent retirees were asked to return, but I said no. Not all employers
are being quite so cautious although I think most of them are following
guidelines, and of course there are individuals who follow guidelines
and those who don't. Still, we've had low infection rates (being on an
island and with a provincial government that reacted early and firmly)
so we can't complain. The economic fallout is going to be terrible, though.

--
Cheryl
Old January 23rd 21, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/22/2021 2:15 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
Everthing is different due to this pesky Covid situation.

I had a job interview via phone last week. We talked three times on
three different days at length, that was the actual interview. Today I
went to meet him at the office in person to finalize the details.
Wearing a mask. I met the receptionist and his son who has been filling
in until he heads back to University. And yes, I got the job.
Everything has changed in how things are being done.

I wonder if the world will ever get back to the way it used to be.

Jill

Congratulations on getting the new job! when do you start?

Thank you! It's a small office and they're still working on closing out
year-end for the main office in New York State. I'll start in a week or
so. It's part time but after a few months could possible morph into a
work-from-home position connecting to their network via VPN.

I hope it does go back to the way it was.

Judith

I would love that, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Even with a
vaccine, distribution appears to be problematic. Now that we have
gotten rid of the Big Giant Talking Head (former President) maybe we can
at least get a handle on that here in the US.

Of course there will be some (anti-vaxxers) who will simply refuse to
get the vaccine, thinking they know better than medical science. Even
now, many people refuse to wear a mask in public. Heck, I keep a mask
by the front door in case someone rings the doorbell. Even if I know
the person, I'm putting on a mask before I open the door.

Last Summer I saw a young woman at the grocery store with a sticker on
her shirt that said "Medically Exempt from Wearing a Mask". I'm sorry,
anyone can print up a bunch of stickers. I realize you cannot tell by
looking at someone whether they have an underlying medical condition.
But she was maybe in her 40's, no mobility problems, and I saw her
attempting to chit chat with everyone she saw. She didn't even attempt
to maintain social distance. Every time I saw her I turned around and
went in another direction.

Stay safe!

Jill

Stone Soup jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 17 September 23rd 11 02:31 PM
[OT] One Stone Pat[_2_] Cat anecdotes 0 September 13th 08 01:15 AM
cost of bladder stone removal edensr Cat health & behaviour 1 January 10th 06 07:37 AM
Calcium Oxalate stone - can't remove Mike S. Cat health & behaviour 11 October 28th 05 09:49 AM
Smoke Likes Her Stone [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 10 October 16th 05 03:50 AM