Anybody tamed a feral?

Old August 6th 14, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Anybody tamed a feral?

On 8/6/2014 6:42 AM, Jane wrote:
One of the hints I've heard about taming a feral is to spend time in the room with him Every Day. (when you're not trying to medicate him, anyway). Just sit quietly and read a book. Out loud, even. He needs to hear your voice, and he needs to make the connection between you and Not Threat. It'll take time, but apparently once you get them acclimated, ferals become the best Lap Fungus you could ever want.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Thanks. I suspect it will take a very long time, but I can hope.

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old August 6th 14, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message

Make sure he has his own "safe place". Preferably not hiding under
something.

Jill

It's early days yet, he's bound to hide. I do agree that a timid cat needs
his own safe place, though.
Boyfie's "own safe place" is my spare bedroom. Even though he now trusts me
and likes to spend a lot of time with me, he goes to his bedroom every day
for a nap. I never disturb him in there and only hoover in there if he is
outside ditto going to the airing cupboard to get fresh towels out. Not if
he is in there. It's the first place he rushes to if a cat has fought him.
In the door, zoom up the stairs to his safe place.

Unfortunately he is increasingly having to protect his back door because my
(nice) new neighbours have put in a 2 metre fence for the first 30 yards,
presumably to keep their Jack Russel in. They did ask if they could replace
the fence, which was 4 feet high, so I said Yes, but was waiting for the
ambulance to come and it was all done when I got home from hospital. I
assumed they meant a similar height fence.
So what is happening is that instead of being able to nip over the fence
into the neighbouring gardens, wandering kitties find themselves funnelled
between two 2 metre fences and have to pass right past my back door to jump
over my gate to get back home.
It's leading to a whole lot of conflict. Boyfie quite rightly objects to a
cat right outside his door.
Twice last week the poor lad rushed inside to his bedroom but as he got well
beaten up not long ago, he probably doesn't want to fight again.
He was never a fighter but those huge fences both sides now are forcing him
to defend his house from normal
outdoor kitties who find themselves unwilling to leap over a 6 ft 6" close
board fences.

Old August 7th 14, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 8/4/2014 5:40 PM, Larry Stark wrote:
On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 15:26:46 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 8/2/2014 1:40 PM, Joy wrote:
About a week ago I adopted a cat from the shelter. He's a
four-month-old neutered male. He's also feral. I've been keeping him
isolated for the time being, but I'll be trying an introduction on Monday.

He spends all of his time hiding, changing his hiding place whenever I
find him. He is eating and using the litter box, but that's it.

Any suggestions for making him feel more comfortable when I stop
shutting him up?

Joy

Make sure he has his own "safe place". Preferably not hiding under
something.

Jill

All of mine have a spot where they know I will not bother them other
then maybe a scratch when passing by them or such. They know I will
not pick them up or bother them there EXCEPT if they have a vet vist
and I have to but even then I will try to get them to move before I
grab them so they always know they will have a spot regardless where
it is that they will be left alone!!

Pickles' two favorite places are behind a chair in the living room or on
my bed.

So far Koala seems to have chosen an empty spot on the bottom shelf in a
bookcase in the room where I've been keeping him. There are some things
in front of it, so it's completely in shadow. More than once I've
thought he wasn't there, then found that he was. I wouldn't be
surprised if he keeps that as his save place once he has the run of the
house.

Joy

Old August 8th 14, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

Our next door neighbours had a row of out of control Leilandi (I've no
idea how to spell that but you know the fast growing fir trees) between
our gardens. They came over our fence by six feet. anyway we had to
tactfully ask them to do something about them. We agreed to that if they
had them chopped down we would put up a seven foot fence. Sootie manages
to jump up onto this fence by jumping part way up and then pulling herself
up the last bit. She jumps down onto the lawn. We've decided to put a run
or some steps on the fence to help her. maybe you could put something
against the fence away from your house, a dustbin perhaps which would help
the other cats to get over the fence.

Just an idea.

Judith

Good idea. I'll try it. I have a spare dustbin that would do the job.
..

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.