When the Light Hits Just Right...

Old June 11th 10, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default When the Light Hits Just Right...

If you look closely at a black or grey cat you can see they are actually
brown. I tried to take a photo example of this with Persia a few minutes
ago. The light was hitting her just right and you could clearly see the
brown undercoat.

I'm not sure my camera was up to the task. I'll upload them and see if
they're worth posting

Jill

Old June 11th 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
If you look closely at a black or grey cat you can see they are actually
brown. I tried to take a photo example of this with Persia a few minutes
ago. The light was hitting her just right and you could clearly see the
brown undercoat.

I'm not sure my camera was up to the task. I'll upload them and see if
they're worth posting

Jill

Yes, I sometimes notice this on Holly's black fur. As you said, it depends
on the light. The camera often picks it up even when I did not see it. I
also see it more now that she is 15 than I did when she was younger. She
still *looks* exactly the same and does not seem to have aged at all, so I
don't know if I just don't remember it from earlier years or if this part of
the aging process.

MaryL

Old June 11th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

On 6/11/2010 5:55 AM, jmcquown wrote:
If you look closely at a black or grey cat you can see they are actually
brown. I tried to take a photo example of this with Persia a few minutes
ago. The light was hitting her just right and you could clearly see the
brown undercoat.

It's more obvious on some cats , Muddy and Mojo were both black cats,
but the brown was much easier to spot on Muddy, than on Mojo. Can't say
I've ever noticed any brown coloring on Emily though (she's a blue-grey)

--
Nik Simpson
Old June 11th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 11, 5:55*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
If you look closely at a black or grey cat you can see they are actually
brown. *I tried to take a photo example of this with Persia a few minutes
ago. *The light was hitting her just right and you could clearly see the
brown undercoat.

I'm not sure my camera was up to the task. *I'll upload them and see if
they're worth posting

Jill

Boots' coat has brown undertones too. They're more pronounced in the
summer, so I assume the sun lightens her fur like it would ours, since
she lays in the sun a lot.
Frank's like the chameleon cat. He's nearly pure white with seal
points in the winter, but in summer he's light brown.
Another cute thing I've noticed is how freckly Bosley is getting,. He
has
freckles in his mouth, on his lips, and on the bottoms of his pink
paws.

Sherry

Sherry
Old June 11th 10, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

If you look closely at a black or grey cat you can see they are actually
brown.

I see this on Licky all the time. In artificial light he looks shiny
black, but in sunlight his fur has a slightly reddish cast that gives
it a warm brown look.

Another thing you can see in sunlight, if you look closely at a black cat,
is that they have *stripes*.

Joyce

--
Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old June 11th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gabey8[_2_]

On Jun 11, 5:17*pm, wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

* If you look closely at a black or grey cat you can see they are actually
* brown.

I see this on Licky all the time. In artificial light he looks shiny
black, but in sunlight his fur has a slightly reddish cast that gives
it a warm brown look.

Another thing you can see in sunlight, if you look closely at a black cat,
is that they have *stripes*.

Joyce

--
Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. * * * * * * * * * * -- Stephen Baker

Boy, this is the day to reminisce about my past furkids! Melody and
Harmony were both black cats, but as they were addicted to sunbeams,
the sunlight faded their fur a bit and in strong sunlight, they seemed
dark brown. That was even more pronounced in Harmony, who lived a few
years longer than Melody and thus had more years to spend napping in
sunbeams.

Misty, my first cat, had what appeared to be a solid grey body, with
tabby markings on her face and legs. But in a patch of strong
sunlight, the dark-on-dark tabby markings on her body became visible.

There's no missing the stripes on my current Pair of Cats (tm).
Captain and Stanley are tabbies, and one of their nicknames is The
Stripe Committee. Sometimes if I'm doting on one of them, I'll pretend
I'm counting their stripes one by one. I number each stripe with a
touch of the finger until said cat responds by doing things like
headbutting my hand, licking my finger, or purring in my face. :-)

Cats are fun.

Donna, the Stripe Committee, and the Micro-Dog
Old June 12th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Gabey8 wrote:

There's no missing the stripes on my current Pair of Cats (tm).
Captain and Stanley are tabbies, and one of their nicknames is The
Stripe Committee. Sometimes if I'm doting on one of them, I'll pretend
I'm counting their stripes one by one. I number each stripe with a
touch of the finger until said cat responds by doing things like
headbutting my hand, licking my finger, or purring in my face. :-)

Cats are fun.

Donna, the Stripe Committee, and the Micro-Dog

The Stripe Committee - that's cute! I sometimes refer to Roxy as the
Striped Individual, which comes from observations I used to make when
she was a kitten (and I'd come home to tipped-over wastebaskets with
trash strewn about), on the order of, "This looks like the work of a
certain Striped Individual." Kind of like a cop in a mystery novel
making notes at a crime scene. And then the label just stuck.

Joyce

--
The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel
Old June 12th 10, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

nik Simpson wrote:
It's more obvious on some cats , Muddy and Mojo were both black cats,
but the brown was much easier to spot on Muddy, than on Mojo. Can't say
I've ever noticed any brown coloring on Emily though (she's a blue-grey)

On Frank, it was very obvious, and as he got older, his fur got
paler/browner. Nikki always looked coal black even in strong sunlight.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.