Koala

Old July 25th 14, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Koala

As you may remember, Waffles went to the Bridge several weeks ago.
Since then Pickles has been demanding a lot of attention, and
occasionally crying. I decided she should have a companion. The
consensus was that a young male would be best.

Our local animal shelter is having a special - on Fridays, the cat
adoption fee is $5! I went today and found a 4 month old neutered
tabby. They say he's a brown tabby, but he looks gray and black to me.
Anyway, the sign on the cage said his name was Wallace. I completed
the paperwork and was surprised to see that, instead of Wallace, it said
his name is Koala Bear. I checked to make sure it was the same cat, and
it was.

I'm dropping the "Bear", because koalas aren't bears. However, the name
Koala couldn't have been more perfect for me. I'm an Aussiephile, and
have been to Australia six times, and have held koalas on three
different occasions.

Right now Koala is in hiding. I don't even know where he is. I put the
carrier in the room I'd prepared for him and opened it. When I checked
half an hour later, he still was in the carrier. I checked just now,
and he isn't in the carrier. He also isn't under the bed. The closet
door doesn't close tightly, so I suppose that's where he is. I
certainly couldn't find him anywhere else. I'm not going to try to find
him now. I have an appointment to have the vet check him on Monday
afternoon. I hope I can find him by then.

Pickles is aware he's there. While I was eating my lunch, she stood
outside his door and did the "intruder" howl.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old July 25th 14, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
then.

Pickles is aware he's there. While I was eating my lunch, she stood
outside his door and did the "intruder" howl.

Joy

Because she doesn't want him.
it's you that does.

Old July 26th 14, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Joy" wrote in message
then.

Pickles is aware he's there. While I was eating my lunch, she stood
outside his door and did the "intruder" howl.

Joy

Because she doesn't want him.
it's you that does.

Nevertheless, I got him mainly because I think she needs a companion.
He's only been here a few hours. It remains to be seen whether she will
continue to not want him.

Joy

Old July 26th 14, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 7/26/2014 1:28 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
Joy wrote:
[...]

Congratulations!! Koala will soon realise he's come to a good home.
pickles is giving the intruder alert because to her that's what he is. She
hasn't met him yet let alone get to know him.

Purrs that all goes well and when they meet they get to like each other.

It will probably be good for Pickles to have a companion and it will be
good for you to have another kitty, which is important too.

Good Luck.

Judith

Thanks, Judith. Koala is still staying in his carrier whenever I look
in on him, but he has eaten and used the litter box, so I know he's
okay. I have an appointment to have my vet check him Monday afternoon.
After he's recovered from that I'll try to get him out of the carrier.
Until then I'll leave him alone. For one thing, he won't feel
threatened. For another, it will be easier to get him to the vet if
he's already in the carrier. ;-)

Pickles has only given the intruder alert twice, both yesterday. Today
she expressed great interest when I was about to go into the room where
he is, so I waited until she had given up. It isn't time for them to
meet yet. However, I saw that as a good sign.

Yes, I think it will be good for both of us, although I suspect he may
bond to her before he bonds to me. I was told he's "still a little
feral" and not used to people. Eventually I'm sure he'll come around.
As long as he and Pickles get along, I can wait.

Joy

Old July 26th 14, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

Joy wrote:
[...]

Perhaps get down to his level on the floor, near the carrier and have
cat-chats
with him? For him to get used to you, and bond a bit?
Drop a few treats into the carrier?
HTH
Sylvia

Old July 26th 14, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Joy wrote:
[...]

That's a good idea. It remains to be seen whether I can do it. Oh, I
can probably get down on the floor, but getting up might be a bit of a
problem. I'm a bit older than he is - about 78 years older. ;-)

Joy

Old July 27th 14, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
toci

Joy wrote:

[...]

That's in human years, I believe. Toci

Old July 27th 14, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

Joy wrote:

[...]

Ditto, but I have this great gardening bench
(from a mail order catalog, I see it now and then here and there).
It has a green semisoft 'bench, and 2 levels , kneeling and sitting.
In the house I use the kneeling level to get to the bottom kitchen
cupboards, etc... It has handles on both ends, and when you are
kneeling,
they are taller than your elbow. They are metal tubing.
they work as just the "push-up' I need.,,ya think this would help?

Sylvia

Old July 27th 14, 06:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Joy wrote:
[...]

Kudos for you taking him in! I do hope the integration works out well.

Jill