How many cats per litter box?

Old February 23rd 05, 11:19 PM
A.Pismo Clam

Default How many cats per litter box?

We are about to introduce 1 more sweet, all-black kitty to our other two
tabbies which have been with us for 7 years.

Do we need another litter box to accommodate the newest, who is about 8
months old and 6lb. 4oz? The other two are about 10 lbs each.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain
Old February 23rd 05, 11:38 PM
Joe Canuck

A.Pismo Clam wrote:

We are about to introduce 1 more sweet, all-black kitty to our other two
tabbies which have been with us for 7 years.

Do we need another litter box to accommodate the newest, who is about 8
months old and 6lb. 4oz? The other two are about 10 lbs each.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain

The general rule is one more litter box than the number of cats in the
house.

That is... 2 cats = 3 litter boxes, 3 cats = 4 litter boxes.

Whether you need another litter box depends on the number of boxes you
now have.
Old February 23rd 05, 11:45 PM

A.Pismo Clam wrote:
We are about to introduce 1 more sweet, all-black kitty to our other

two
tabbies which have been with us for 7 years.

Do we need another litter box to accommodate the newest, who is about

8
months old and 6lb. 4oz? The other two are about 10 lbs each.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain

It depends. I had 3 grown cats on a single litter box. No problems.
Some say: number of litterboxes = number of cats + 1.

Old February 24th 05, 12:00 AM
Mary

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
A.Pismo Clam wrote:

We are about to introduce 1 more sweet, all-black kitty to our other two
tabbies which have been with us for 7 years.

Do we need another litter box to accommodate the newest, who is about 8
months old and 6lb. 4oz? The other two are about 10 lbs each.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain

The general rule is one more litter box than the number of cats in the
house.

That is... 2 cats = 3 litter boxes, 3 cats = 4 litter boxes.

Whether you need another litter box depends on the number of boxes you
now have.

We do okay with two boxes for two cats.

Old February 24th 05, 12:49 AM
kitkat

Joe Canuck wrote:
A.Pismo Clam wrote:

We are about to introduce 1 more sweet, all-black kitty to our other
two tabbies which have been with us for 7 years.

Do we need another litter box to accommodate the newest, who is about
8 months old and 6lb. 4oz? The other two are about 10 lbs each.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain

The general rule is one more litter box than the number of cats in the
house.

That is... 2 cats = 3 litter boxes, 3 cats = 4 litter boxes.

Whether you need another litter box depends on the number of boxes you
now have.

Or just trial and error. My 2 cats are fine with 2 litter boxes.

Lucky,
Pam
Old February 24th 05, 01:08 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"A.Pismo Clam" wrote in message

We are about to introduce 1 more sweet, all-black kitty to our other two
tabbies which have been with us for 7 years.

Do we need another litter box to accommodate the newest, who is about 8
months old and 6lb. 4oz? The other two are about 10 lbs each.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain

The "rule" is one litter box per cat, plus one.

Otoh, except for when one of my cats was pooping outside of the box many
years ago (& I therefore had 2 cats, with a total of 4 or 5 boxes, in order
to solve her problem), I usually have the same number of boxes as I have
cats. Right now, 2 cats and one main box, with another box that gets
occasional use. Otoh, I scoop the main box out 3 times/day, sometimes more,
and it's the biggest litter box I could find.

Considering your cats are medium - largish, I'd have corresponding sized
litter boxes. Definitely not little ones. Otherewise, a cat could have all
4 paws in the box, & squat, *assuming* it's peeing/pooping _in_ the box,
when in reality the cat's rear is overhanging the box's edge!

Cathy

Old February 24th 05, 01:11 AM
Spot

It depends upon how often you scoop the box and if your other cats will
tolerate the 3rd. Personally the last time I brought a cat into the house I
put out another box until I was sure everyone was getting along. Now I have
a huge deep box, use scooping litter and clean it twice a day and all 3 use
it happily. Now the only time I put out an extra box is if I'm going away
for the weekend. That way " The Queen" will have a clean box for herself.

Celeste

Old February 24th 05, 08:43 AM
-L.

A.Pismo Clam wrote:
We are about to introduce 1 more sweet, all-black kitty to our other

two
tabbies which have been with us for 7 years.

Do we need another litter box to accommodate the newest, who is about

8
months old and 6lb. 4oz? The other two are about 10 lbs each.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain

Yes. No more than two cats per box - I recommend one cat per box when I
place cats.

HTH,
-L.