Introductions not going well

Old May 8th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Default Introductions not going well

I took in a stray semi-feral cat over 2 months ago. She lived for 6 weeks
in our basement separated from my other 2 male cats. The other 2 cats knew
something was going on and could sense the new cat behind the door and
occasionally heard her. When it was time to introduce the new cat to the
resident cats, I moved the new cat into a bedroom. I know that it is
recommended to use a screen door in place of the regular door, but I have
been unable to find a door that fits and I don't have the capability to make
a door. I have been using baby gates across the doorway which are a pain,
but they do work okay. From the first moment, my one cat took to the new
cat. They seem fine together. It's my other cat that is the problem. He
doesn't want anything to do with the new cat. He's curious and will come up
to the gate but as soon as he sees the new cat, he hisses and runs away.
This has been going on for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I have tried
everything...feeding them on either side, treats, petting him when he comes
up to the new cat, talking nice, etc. He just isn't having any part of it.
And the new cat is getting pretty antzy in the bedroom...she wants to be out
of there. Anyone have any other suggestions for helping my cat accept the
new cat? I'm just about ready to give up, let the new cat out and just hope
for the best.

Thanks.

Sue

Old May 8th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
I took in a stray semi-feral cat over 2 months ago. She lived for 6 weeks
in our basement separated from my other 2 male cats. The other 2 cats

knew
something was going on and could sense the new cat behind the door and
occasionally heard her. When it was time to introduce the new cat to the
resident cats, I moved the new cat into a bedroom. I know that it is
recommended to use a screen door in place of the regular door, but I have
been unable to find a door that fits and I don't have the capability to

make
a door. I have been using baby gates across the doorway which are a pain,
but they do work okay.

Lowes sells nice wood frame screen door in 30", 32" & 36" widths for $20.

From the first moment, my one cat took to the new
cat. They seem fine together. It's my other cat that is the problem. He
doesn't want anything to do with the new cat. He's curious and will come

up
to the gate but as soon as he sees the new cat, he hisses and runs away.
This has been going on for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I have tried
everything...feeding them on either side, treats, petting him when he

comes
up to the new cat, talking nice, etc. He just isn't having any part of

it.
And the new cat is getting pretty antzy in the bedroom...she wants to be

out
of there. Anyone have any other suggestions for helping my cat accept the
new cat? I'm just about ready to give up, let the new cat out and just

hope
for the best.

Try the sock method. Put a sock over your hand and rub the new cat all
over- especially around the chin and face where the most scent glands are.
Take the other sock and do the same to your resident cat. Then rub each cat
down with the opposite sock to mingle their scents. This might help the new
cat seem a little more familiar to your resident cat.

Have there been any attacks? or just hisses?

Phil

Old May 8th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Thanks for responding, Phil. I checked at Lowes and they only had the 36
inch in stock. Home Depot had nothing in stock. The door in question is 29
1/2 inches. Before I even moved the new cat to the bedroom I tried the sock
method. The "problem" cat would have nothing to do with the sock...would
hiss and swat at my other resident cat. Even swat at me. I've tried
switching blankets...that didn't go over well either. There's been hisses
and growls...sometimes he'll advance to the baby gate like he wants to
attack but then he runs away. He hasn't gotten close enough to the new cat
to have a full blown fight. And I don't want that to happen.

S.
"Phil P." wrote in message

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
I took in a stray semi-feral cat over 2 months ago. She lived for 6
weeks
in our basement separated from my other 2 male cats. The other 2 cats

knew
something was going on and could sense the new cat behind the door and
occasionally heard her. When it was time to introduce the new cat to the
resident cats, I moved the new cat into a bedroom. I know that it is
recommended to use a screen door in place of the regular door, but I have
been unable to find a door that fits and I don't have the capability to

make
a door. I have been using baby gates across the doorway which are a
pain,
but they do work okay.

Lowes sells nice wood frame screen door in 30", 32" & 36" widths for $20.

From the first moment, my one cat took to the new

Old May 8th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Lowes can special order. I have always received orders from them within a
few days.

MaryL

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for responding, Phil. I checked at Lowes and they only had the 36
inch in stock. Home Depot had nothing in stock. The door in question is
29 1/2 inches. Before I even moved the new cat to the bedroom I tried the
sock method. The "problem" cat would have nothing to do with the
sock...would hiss and swat at my other resident cat. Even swat at me.
I've tried switching blankets...that didn't go over well either. There's
been hisses and growls...sometimes he'll advance to the baby gate like he
wants to attack but then he runs away. He hasn't gotten close enough to
the new cat to have a full blown fight. And I don't want that to happen.

S.
"Phil P." wrote in message

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From the first moment, my one cat took to the new

Old May 8th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Even if I get the door, it doesn't help that the new cat wants out of the
room. She bangs on the door at night (we keep the bedroom door closed at
night and when we aren't home). The noise wakes me up...I'm not getting
much sleep these days and it's getting annoying!

S.

. ..
Lowes can special order. I have always received orders from them within a
few days.

MaryL

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for responding, Phil. I checked at Lowes and they only had the 36
inch in stock. Home Depot had nothing in stock. The door in question is
29 1/2 inches. Before I even moved the new cat to the bedroom I tried
the sock method. The "problem" cat would have nothing to do with the
sock...would hiss and swat at my other resident cat. Even swat at me.
I've tried switching blankets...that didn't go over well either. There's
been hisses and growls...sometimes he'll advance to the baby gate like he
wants to attack but then he runs away. He hasn't gotten close enough to
the new cat to have a full blown fight. And I don't want that to happen.

S.
"Phil P." wrote in message

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From the first moment, my one cat took to the new

Old May 8th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail[_2_]

I would let the new cat wander into the house. Leave the gate open so she
can return. Supervise the cats. Hissing is not a problem. I would separate
them if they actually fight. After a time of letting her wander, put her
back in the room. This should be a gradual process. It took me over 3 weeks
to integrate an 8 week old kitten with my other cat. I think they will be OK
in time.
Gail
. ..

Old May 8th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Thanks, Gail. We have been letting the new cat wander outside the bedroom
on the second floor...in the other bedrooms. She has once or twice ventured
downstairs but always runs back upstairs when I see her downstairs. It
doesn't help that the new cat, a former feral, is still quite skittish and
will hide. I know over time she will get better. The "problem" cat hasn't
encountered the new cat yet when she does get out but I know it's only a
matter of time. Also, my resident cat is now becoming a bit
standoffish...keeps to himself, has been sleeping in places he doesn't
normally sleep (on top the fridge!). I'm concerned that bringing in the new
cat has really upset him. I can sense that he is somewhat anxious. Guess
I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope that my resident cat comes
around soon.

S.
---
"Gail" wrote in message ...
I would let the new cat wander into the house. Leave the gate open so she
can return. Supervise the cats. Hissing is not a problem. I would separate
them if they actually fight. After a time of letting her wander, put her
back in the room. This should be a gradual process. It took me over 3 weeks
to integrate an 8 week old kitten with my other cat. I think they will be
OK in time.
Gail
. ..

Old May 8th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Have you tried using a few Feliway diffusers around the house? I've
used them and they really can help. You can also add a few drops of
Rescue Remedy to all the cats' water bowls (it's an herbal formula,
www.rescueremedy.com). I've had good luck with this too.

Rene
Old May 8th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On May 8, 11:36*am, "Rene S." wrote:
Have you tried using a few Feliway diffusers around the house? I've
used them and they really can help. You can also add a few drops of
Rescue Remedy to all the cats' water bowls (it's an herbal formula,www.rescueremedy.com). I've had good luck with this too.

Rene

Yes, I am using Feliway. There's a diffuser plugged in right outside
the bedroom door where the new cat is staying. I also have a diffuser
plugged in in the living room on the main floor. I've been using
Feliway off and on for close to 5 years now. I'm not convinced that
it makes a difference, but I still use it. I haven't tried Rescue
Remedy yet but that may be a good idea too. Thanks.
Old May 8th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Yes, I am using Feliway. *There's a diffuser plugged in right outside
the bedroom door where the new cat is staying. *I also have a diffuser
plugged in in the living room on the main floor. *I've been using
Feliway off and on for close to 5 years now. *I'm not convinced that
it makes a difference, but I still use it. *I haven't tried Rescue
Remedy yet but that may be a good idea too. Thanks.

You might consider getting this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Flower-Remedie...0272535&sr=8-1

I've used flower remedies on one of my cats with good results. What I
like about this book is the capulated information at the back, telling
you which remedy will help for which condition. You might try Beech
for tolerance for the original cat, for instance.