Idiopathic cystitis

Old July 23rd 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Idiopathic cystitis

So, even after seven years of dealing with this, I still learn new stuff.

In the past, I've alway whisked Meep off to the vet whenever she has an
attack. Gradually, though, I've realized this hasn't really been in her
best interests - although for a while she'd always get an antibiotic, my
understanding is this is rarely caused by a bacterial infection - and
more recently the vets have agreed and stopped doing that.

Since the last couple of visits have involved them poking and prodding
her, taking urine samples, and saying "no blood or crystals", it's been,
not a waste of time, but not really productive from Meep's point of
view. Perhaps counterproductive, since this is a stress disorder and
being hauled off to the vet causes stress...

This one's a bit different in that she's also passing only tiny bits of
poo - constipation is one of her issues - so we're not sure if she's
passing poo trying to pee or passing pee trying to poo. I still lean
towards cystitis rather than constipation from the simple fact that the
likely cause of this mess - Science Diet Hairball Formula - was helping
her poo more often, not less.

She gets extra glucosamine, a urinary acidifier supplement, and extra
lactulose.

So this time I've been resisting running her off to the vet (a
recalcitrant work schedule doesn't help) and feeling aweful about it,
though I'm doing it with the vet's approval.

If she hasn't pooped or peed sufficiently by tomorrow morning, she gets
to spend the day at the vet's so they can fit her in to their schedule.
I really hoped to avoid that but I can't stay home another morning from
work like I did yesterday.

Please, Meep, dump big and pee buckets tonight!

So, for those of you with cystitis kitties - specifically females since
it's a whole different thing with males - what do you do when they have
an attack? Do they go straight to the vet, or do you just support them
through the attack (are there home remedies you use?)? How long do they
usually last? Vet says 3 days or so, something I just read said 5-7 days.

jmc

jmc
Old July 24th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:59:23 -0400, jmc
wrote:

[...]

I you DO have to go to the vet, ask if you can use Pyridium (brand name)
phenazopyridine HCl (generic name).

It is used to treat humans for painful bladder conditions due to UTI,
idiopathic cystitis, bladder spasms, and interstitial cystitis.

It is concentrated in the urine by the kidneys, and acts as a 'numbing'
agent, somewhat like Novocaine.

It has very minimal side effects in humans, except the drug itself,
concentrated in the urine, turns it orange.

I have used it during an UTI, and the effects are nothing short of
phenomenal. It is approved for long term use in humans, also, if
necessary.

Sometimes, just effectively treating the symptoms is all you can do, in
a chronic, and idiopathic condition.

You can buy it OTC in drug stores, although you would need to cut the
tablets much smaller for a 'cat sized' dose.

I hope it can be used in cats, as I certain it will make Meep feel much,
much better in just an hour or 2.

Please ask you vet, and keep us posted.

Good luck with Meep.
Old July 24th 09, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

Hello,

A friend of mine has a (male) cat with this condition. Almost a year
ago, she started using an herbal supplement called Tract Ease
(available from Only Natural Pet)
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...la/999017.aspx

It has helped him a lot, and she has since recommended it to others,
also with good results. In Meep's case, it might be worth trying. It's
given every day, and it's a liquid you can mix into some food.

FWIW, I am not affiliated with ONP, but am a customer and do buy some
of their other supplements for our eldest cat.

Rene
Old July 25th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (7/23/2009 6:59 PM):
[...]

I took her to the vet. Her pee had blood in it in the morning. Turns
out, she did have a UTI as well as the cystitis, so 14 days of
antibiotics and a couple days of extra painkillers.

Thanks for the responses, I'll look into both of the suggestions.

jmc

Cystitis Rick Cat health & behaviour 2 January 28th 06 01:36 PM
Cystitis again? jmc Cat health & behaviour 0 January 3rd 06 11:06 PM
Cystitis jmc Cat health & behaviour 19 July 14th 05 02:52 AM
idiopathic chylothorax clifto Cat health & behaviour 0 January 5th 05 07:44 AM
Cystitis won't go away DrLargePants Cat health & behaviour 9 December 17th 04 10:26 AM