Houdini crosses Rainbow bridge ---and possibly a new one to join me

Old September 18th 05, 11:01 PM
Noah

Default Houdini crosses Rainbow bridge ---and possibly a new one to join me

Greetings all

My cat Houdini crossed Rainbow Bridge exactly a month and one day ago.

Below is an email I sent to my friends and family that morning:

"At about 8:47AM my black cat, Houdini, died.

She was four years old.

I awoke this morning; saw her on her favorite window
Sill, pet her, gave her fresh kibbles, and saw her
happily going on her morning. At around a quarter to
nine she went to the litter-box and moments later I
heard her call for help. It was sudden. She was
sprawled out, her tongue to her side, already
Seemingly no longer breathing.

I called the cat clinic and didn't even drive. Like a
true parent I simply took my child in a towel and
briskly got down the block. The doctors knew I was
coming and delivered the news in a direct way with
their sympathies, they are all cat people.

I said my goodbyes, but knowing the teachings of my
parents and life, the body is but a vessel for a
greater presence.

I had notified work of my medical emergency and they
are now expecting me at work, with an understanding
I'll be late, but my day and life must go on.

I take heart in knowing I have Sandstone my friends in
the hallway of my building, coworkers, friends, and my
remaining time with the tigers at the Erie County
Fair. I don't know if it has hit completely yet, I
have shed a tear or two, but I am doing okay. I will
be fine. There are always cats that need a loving
home, but for now I need some time to remember my
little magician, the cat who could walk through walls
and also disappear: my sweet Houdini."

Houdini was a sweet kitty, all black except for a part of her neck and
her white paws, little slippers. She was a bigger than average cat, but
very sweet and very gentle. She got her name due to her being quite a
little magician when I first brought her home as an SPCA foster kitten.
I had gone to my car to get their paperwork (there were two) and when I
came back she had *dissappeared* into thin air. Just vanished. I
*asked* her friend where she was, knowing the cat wouldn't tell me, but
I had to ask. I would spend the next four hours looking through my
apartment, in drawers (which the cat would have to first open, get
inside, and *THEN* close, in my closet, everywhere, and in the in
hallway. I then looked outside (I was in a ground level apartment). I
was talking to an insurance company that night (a tractor trailer hit
my car while backing out of the SPCA lot---true story--I got a full
payment). The insurance agent for the trucking company told me to
relax; the cat was just making herself scarce. I'd later find her
walking around. I followed the kitten, pet it, and asked her where
she'd been. I then observe her seemingly walk "through the wall" as she
went under the sink's cabinet..and disappeared. I stood there and said,
"How did you do that?!" I leaned down...saw a little nose and whiskers
and heard loud purring. I realized...she was in a small crawl
space/pipe chase. Behind the rubber stopper there was not flush wood,
but a space...

--- ===== bottom of cabinet under sink

===== kitty crawl space

| ====== rubber stopper/casing

--- ====== bathroom floor

I'd come home in the summer and sometimes find neither cat, look under
my sink and hear two sets of purring, loudly...where it was nice, cool,
and dark.

She pulled a vanishing act on me and seemingly walked through a wall,
two of Houdini's most famous illusions.

When I first heard, when we (my cat Sandstone and I) heard her mournful
call for help we rushed in like paramedics, both of us. She was already
on the floor, most likely already dead, but I did take her to vet in a
hurry. The doctors said I did all I could and more. They were very kind
and as I broke down in a few tears, while trying to do the "I'm a
27-year old professional... and I don't cry thing" VTs patted my
shoulder, consoled me, and handed me tissues. The cat clinic sent me a
nice letter, two cards actually, saying that they were all sorry of her
passing and that they knew I gave her a great home and four wonderful
years. I am starting to get a little misty writing this.

==== QUESTION

I had a friend clean my apartment today, she does for extra money, and
she told me I should get a new kitten. I had thought about getting a
new four-year old cat (Sandstone is that age too) from a shelter, an
adult cat.

Sandstone is my alpha-male. He's very sweet, kind, and has a great
friendly outgoing personality. A purrer and sleeps with me at night and
is a real glutton for being stroked. A good kitty. I would not want to
get a male kitten or cat---immediate territory/jealously issues.

Cat or kitten?

I don't want to be too cheap and just say a kitten would cost more
with shots, besides I feel a cat of the same age, female, would be good
for him. My friend says a kitten would be better.

I know he'd warm, eventually, to a female kitten. I don't really fear
at all---for he is too nice a cat---that he's attack her. However, I
feel bringing in a lady, as opposed to a girl, may be a better idea.

Thoughts and reasons as to which is a better idea?
He seems to be adjusting well, perhaps better than me. He has been
sleeping with me every night since, perhaps lonely, but he hasn't been
moping and he has wanted more affection lately---which I am happy to
give. I have photos if anyone would like any.

Old September 18th 05, 11:56 PM
Meowmie Carol

I am so sorry for your loss. When you are ready to be adopted by the
right cat, you will know who it is.

Old September 19th 05, 01:03 AM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:01:28 -0700, Noah wrote:

> [...]

a real glutton for being stroked. A good kitty. I would not want to get a
male kitten or cat---immediate territory/jealously issues.

Cat or kitten?

I don't want to be too cheap and just say a kitten would cost more with
shots, besides I feel a cat of the same age, female, would be good for
him. My friend says a kitten would be better.

I know he'd warm, eventually, to a female kitten. I don't really fear at
all---for he is too nice a cat---that he's attack her. However, I feel
bringing in a lady, as opposed to a girl, may be a better idea.

Thoughts and reasons as to which is a better idea? He seems to be
adjusting well, perhaps better than me. He has been sleeping with me every
night since, perhaps lonely, but he hasn't been moping and he has wanted
more affection lately---which I am happy to give. I have photos if anyone

"Rise up slowly, Angel. It is hard to let you go..."
Sincere condolences in the loss of your beloved Houdini. MLB

Old September 19th 05, 04:15 AM
Mme. Anaïs ^..^

On 18 Sep 2005 15:01:28 -0700, Noah wrote:

Greetings all

My cat Houdini crossed Rainbow Bridge exactly a month and one day ago.

We send Purrs of healing to all.
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............................

--
Purrs,

Mme. Anaïs
9/18/2005 11:14:33 PM
anais+at+electric-ink+dot+com
Old September 19th 05, 10:16 AM
jils

a kitten
a kitten for sandstone.
a kitten has no preconceived notion of his/her place in your house.
he/she will learn that sandstone is already the boss.

and you don't want to deprive yourself of those delightful kitten times.
you know you don't.

when my "old" cat died a year ago, i knew my "young" cat wanted a
friend, so i bought her a kitten.
it wasn't love at first sight, but they're very happy friends.

Old September 19th 05, 12:15 PM
Fred Williams

On $DATE , Noah wrote:

> [...]

would not want to get a male kitten or cat---immediate
territory/jealously issues.

Cat or kitten?

I don't want to be too cheap and just say a kitten would cost
more with shots, besides I feel a cat of the same age, female,
would be good for him. My friend says a kitten would be better.

I know he'd warm, eventually, to a female kitten. I don't really
fear at all---for he is too nice a cat---that he's attack her.
However, I feel bringing in a lady, as opposed to a girl, may be
a better idea.

Thoughts and reasons as to which is a better idea?
He seems to be adjusting well, perhaps better than me. He has
been sleeping with me every night since, perhaps lonely, but he
hasn't been moping and he has wanted more affection
lately---which I am happy to give. I have photos if anyone would

I once had a white cat who was deaf and she also had the
disappearing trick down pat. She could be lying beside me on the
couch or anywhere and I'd reach down to pet her and she'd be gone.
I was often amazed that I never saw or felt her leave. It was so
mystifying that I named her Spirit. She has long since gone to
the Bridj but I'd like to think she's welcoming Houdini and
comparing notes on magic, or more important things.
You know, of course, that our thoughts are with you and Houdini
and we all purrray fur her and fur those she leaves behind.
If your cats are spayed and neutered I don't think it matters too
much whether they are male of female. They are all kittens
regardless of their size, but they will likely still have
dominance issues and a kitten will be quite submissive and not
challenge so things should be more peaceful. There will still be
the jealousy issue at first, of course. In the long run, a second
cat to keep Sandstone company when you're not there would be a
great idea, usually. It depends on the cat of course. Introduce
them slowly and carefully.
May Bast bless you all.

--
Regards,
Fred.
Old September 19th 05, 02:58 PM
Beverly Orel

I send condolences also on the loss of Houdini. I agree--when you are
ready, the right cat will call out to you.
Beverly
oups.com...

Old September 20th 05, 06:32 PM
Ms Mudge

Purrrrrs ov sympathy to you. We knows dat Mr. Buddy(RB) an all da
others are greeting her at the Bridj. Dis has been a real sad month
for uz left here.

When our Mentor (Bandit Marie,RB) went to da Bridj da sekratary waited
a whole month and den 1 day she saw (on TV)da local shelter had a cat
dat needed a family (sec. note: markings & eye color just like Bandit)
so she adopted Ms. Puff. About 2 months before my brofur (Mr. Buddy)
went to da Bridje we was adopted by Da Shadow (a male stray). Da
sekratary sez it just seemed to work out and she knew the time wuz
right cuz Mr. Buddy accepted him.

Ms Mudge, Spokescat for Ms. Puff & Da Shadow

Secretary Note: If you have any doubts about your cat accepting a
kitten...try for 2. I didn't think Bandit Marie would accept at kitten
but she was stunned when I bought home Mr. Buddy & Ms. Mudge...within a
day they were sleeping together.

Noah wrote:
Greetings all

My cat Houdini crossed Rainbow Bridge exactly a month and one day ago.
(Snipped with care & sympathy)

Old September 21st 05, 10:54 PM
The Clowder

"Noah" wrote:

Greetings all

My cat Houdini crossed Rainbow Bridge exactly a month and one day ago.

snipped with regret - the newsserver insists

Our sincerest condolences on your loss, it isn't easy under any
circumstances but to have one pass so suddenly and so young is an
extra grief.

I agree with the others who've suggested a kitten (or two) as
companions for Sandstone, primarily because adults seem to cut a
little slack to the little ones and the kittens aren't really
interested in competing for "alpha cat" status. But, let it be when
you're ready.

Next month will be the Jellicle Ball, when the r.p.c.c. cats honor and
remember all of our friends who have gone to the Bridge in the year
past. My Mietze has been saving the names for the official Calling,
and would be honored to add your Houdini to the list (and to the Walk
ov Remembranz as well). She needs her "House of" name, though, your
surname. You can write privately (address is slightly munged,
correction is in the sig) or post here if you wish.

Melissa

--
Remove the first m to reply
Old September 22nd 05, 02:03 AM
Topaz

"The Clowder (South)" wrote in message
"Noah" wrote:

Greetings all

My cat Houdini crossed Rainbow Bridge exactly a month and one day ago.

snipped with regret - the newsserver insists

The news server insists?