jaundice in elderly cat - need objective advice

Old May 21st 05, 03:56 PM
blkcatgal

I think you are doing the right thing. I'm a big believer that before you
can make any decision about your cat, you have to have all the facts and
make an informed decision. If Maynard tolerates the treatments suggested,
then I think it's worth doing. Good luck. I hope Maynard continues to
improve.

S.
wrote in message
oups.com...
I got the bloodwork results back. His liver enzymes were all elevated,
and they listed his liver as severe. But his kidneys looked good, and
they seemed a little more positive.

I took him in today, and they gave me a short course on how to do the
the fluids at home. We did the first round there in the office. I also
got some antibiotics, and I asked about the supplements that Phil
recommended. One is a special order, so if he improves well over the
next week, I will have them order it. The other one I can get at a
health store. Hopefully, I can find that one tonight.

He is still eating and getting around. He's spending more time on my
bed and less time in the living room chairs (his normal hangout). He
ate well before the vet visit, and a little more when we got home, less
than an hour later. So, his appetite is good. The nurse that did the
blooddraw also commented that he is sassy and still has some energy.
Apparently, he told off a big dog in the back room.

Hopefully, I will be able to report some improvement as the meds and
fluids take affect.

I know he is old, and he still may not live that much longer, but I am
feeling better about the situation now. I was really afraid I would
lose him in the next few days, and it sounds like he has a fighting
chance to hang in there.

Old May 21st 05, 06:05 PM
Mary

wrote in message
ps.com...

So, I will go back to the canned food. Right now, I am
offering him several cans a day so that he can lick off the fresh
gravy.

That should help keep him hydrated, and I bet he loves it too!

Once he settles down okay, I can probably stick with 2 cans a
day, which is more than I used to do. I want to keep him on his senior
kibble too since that has made a huge difference with his arthritis.

I think you have actually given this advice--but might it help to give
him new and exciting water sources? Maybe his own water glass
if he likes to drink out of yours, or filtered water in new places or
a few additional places? I have noticed that Cheeky drinks more
deeply and more frequently from the extra bowl I put in the kitchen,
and she clearly likes the filtered water best of all.

Hopefully, I'm not imagining it, but I think his yellow ears are less
bright. If I'm right, it should be more obvious.

Wishing the best for both of you.