Using a weight based formula for Frontline dose calculation

Old May 21st 05, 08:26 AM
Fredsel

Default Using a weight based formula for Frontline dose calculation

As a healthcare professional working in an Emergency Department I can
attest to the common practice of calculating medications on the basis
of the patient's weight.For example Heparin infusins are given on a
weight based formula, as well as OTC medications such as Tylenol and
Motrin. Aside from the concern of compound decay once the Frontline
container is opended, can anyone give me a solid argument against using
this method to calculate the dosage for my dog? For example, my dog is
13 lbs, the application is for dogs up to 22lbs contained in 0.67 ml.
This calculates to .395 ml for my dog per application, which would
render a significant savings and, it seems to me, still give the
appropriate dose. It also seems to me that if the unused portion is
kept in a capped syringe with all of the air expelled, the likelihood
that the compound will degrade over a month's time is minimal. Is this
constructive creative problem solving or is it just stinkin thinkin?
You vote, I'll listen.

Old May 21st 05, 02:43 PM
Philip

Fredsel wrote:
[...]

My opinion having spend too much time in hospital for IVig treatments on
myself is the following. Whoever comes up with these dosing -estimations-
considers a body to be just a sack of water throughout which, any injected
compound will become dilute as it disperses. Finding out if the dosing
estimate for a particular patient is appropriate something of a crapshoot as
evidenced by some of the HORRIBLE skin reactions and drug induced immune
system disorders inflicted on cats by certain vaccinations and their well
meaning owners/vets.

It's too bad your pets are also guinea pigs for the pharmaceutical industry.

Old May 21st 05, 03:56 PM
Spot

While adjusting the amount based on weight dose make some sense I don't
think I would save the extra for later. Many drugs change over time and
either become useless or become toxic.

Celeste

ups.com...

Old May 22nd 05, 07:50 AM
Phil P.

"Fredsel" wrote in message
ups.com...
As a healthcare professional working in an Emergency Department I can
attest to the common practice of calculating medications on the basis
of the patient's weight.For example Heparin infusins are given on a
weight based formula, as well as OTC medications such as Tylenol and
Motrin. Aside from the concern of compound decay once the Frontline
container is opended, can anyone give me a solid argument against using
this method to calculate the dosage for my dog? For example, my dog is
13 lbs, the application is for dogs up to 22lbs contained in 0.67 ml.
This calculates to .395 ml for my dog per application, which would
render a significant savings

You would save a helluva lot more money by using the red 4.2 ml. vial.

The yellow .67 ml. vial breaks down to $14.76/ml. (.67 x 3 = 2.1 ml @ $31 =
$14.76/ml.).

The red 4.2 ml. vial breaks down to $2.85/ml. (4.2 ml. x 3 = 12.6 ml. @ $36
= $2.85 ml.).

I treat 8 cats with 1, 4.2 ml. vial = $1.50/cat.

and, it seems to me, still give the
appropriate dose. It also seems to me that if the unused portion is
kept in a capped syringe with all of the air expelled,

Don't break open the vial, draw the solution from the vial with a needle
into a syringe. Use an upholstery needle to make the hole in the vial then
cover the hole with paraffin or mortician's wax.

Is this

constructive creative problem solving or is it just stinkin thinkin?
You vote, I'll listen.

I do it because I have a lot of animals to treat-- but I don't think its
worth the time if you only have one dog.

Phil

Old May 22nd 05, 07:51 AM
Phil P.

"Philip" wrote in message
ink.net...
Fredsel wrote:
[...]

Skin reactions or immune disorders are a a result of the components of the
vaccines not the dose, you ****in' moron.