Bloodwork results - what are the normal numbers?

Old May 22nd 05, 08:10 AM

Default Bloodwork results - what are the normal numbers?

I'd like to get a better idea of what the bloodwork results mean. I am
hoping that there might be a website that explains what is normal for
the various values, and what the highs and lows mean.

I was told that Maynard was pretty good, except for the liver values.
But I would like to learn more about it. Also, I got his results from
his bloodwork 2 years ago, and I think it would be interesting to see
what the changes are.

Old May 22nd 05, 09:06 AM

-L. wrote:
wrote:
I'd like to get a better idea of what the bloodwork results mean. I

am
hoping that there might be a website that explains what is normal

for
the various values, and what the highs and lows mean.

I was told that Maynard was pretty good, except for the liver

values.
But I would like to learn more about it. Also, I got his results

from
his bloodwork 2 years ago, and I think it would be interesting to

see
what the changes are.

http://www.maxshouse.com/Feline_Bioc...ry_Normals.htm

Phil's site on hepatology might have more info - I couldn't get there
right now, though.

Hope Maynard is feeling perkier soon.

Thanks. He is still pretty yellow, and he's not eating very much. I
weighed him again, and he is up 1/4 lb from yesterday, but I am sure
most of that is the water. Hopefully, he will show more of a change
tomorrow. I'm not sure how much of the fluids we got him today. It
didn't seem like a lot went in. My mom was letting Maynard walk up her
chest rather than keeping him level in her lap. So, the needled was
pointed upward. When I said I didn't think it was going in well anc
checked the bag, Maynard moved and theneedle fell out. My mom didn't
even notice. I think I will just do it myself tomorrow. He is pretty
calm, so I can just set it up and put him on the bed in front of me,
and hold him still. It should be fine, and we'll get more in him. I
didn't have any problem with the needle, and that was the part that
worried me before.

Old May 22nd 05, 09:38 AM
kitkatluna

-L. wrote:

Oh, and at this point, also, let him eat whatever he wants. If he will
eat tuna, let him. Or cook him some chicken, turkey or fish. A little
pure protein might stimulate his appetite.

Agreed!I put cooked fresh chicken bits in Jasper's food every day to
keep him eating. He seems to eat less of his canned food if we don't put
the chicken in! Also, don't forget baby food! Jasper licks it right off
the spoon!

Pam
-thinking of maynard! xoxox
Old May 22nd 05, 10:02 AM
-L.

kitkatluna wrote:
-L. wrote:

Oh, and at this point, also, let him eat whatever he wants. If he

will
eat tuna, let him. Or cook him some chicken, turkey or fish. A

little
pure protein might stimulate his appetite.

Agreed!I put cooked fresh chicken bits in Jasper's food every day to
keep him eating. He seems to eat less of his canned food if we don't

put
the chicken in! Also, don't forget baby food! Jasper licks it right

off
the spoon!

Pam
-thinking of maynard! xoxox

One caution about baby food though - it's really not all that
nutrtionally great. It's ok as a stop-gap to get cats to eat, but if
they fill up on it, they won't get enough nutrients - it's mainly
starch.

-L.
(posting from my other account)

Old May 22nd 05, 10:11 AM
kitkatluna

-L. wrote:
kitkatluna wrote:

-L. wrote:

[...]

mmmm starch.

point taken, but it does seem that we just want maynard to eat at this
point which is why i suggested it. it seems to stimulate jasper's
appetite for his regular food. I definitely did not mean to imply that
should be the staple of the diet.

pam
-trouble sleeping
Old May 22nd 05, 10:16 AM
-L.

kitkatluna wrote:

mmmm starch.

point taken, but it does seem that we just want maynard to eat at

this
point which is why i suggested it. it seems to stimulate jasper's
appetite for his regular food. I definitely did not mean to imply

that
should be the staple of the diet.

pam
-trouble sleeping

Oh, yeah, I realize that. I just always caution people about baby food
because many cats like it eventhough it isn't all that great,
nutrtionally. It's easy to let them eat a lot of it.

-L.
(Been up with sick baby - he's finally asleep! Now I can't sleep
either...)

Old May 22nd 05, 10:32 AM
kitkatluna

-L. wrote:

Oh, yeah, I realize that. I just always caution people about baby food
because many cats like it eventhough it isn't all that great,
nutrtionally. It's easy to let them eat a lot of it.

Jasper goes bananas for it. Licks it off the spoon and then starts
walking around in circles looking for more. (remember, he cant see)
He does the same thing for fresh chicken. He goes even crazier for the
chicken. We use it to pill him and when we stop giving him bits of it,
he stands there sniffing, then walks in circles, looking up to the
sky...it's as if he thinks it is just falling from the sky! LOL

Man, with the entertainment cats provide us...who needs tv, movies or
the like?

pam,
finally feeling tired enough to maybe lay down and try to sleep more...
Old May 22nd 05, 12:40 PM

-L. wrote:

FWIW, you can always restick him and finish off the intended volume.
We often would give 150ml per side on a cat - two pockets - one on

each
side of the scruff.

How much volume is he getting per infusion? How often is he getting
it?

He is supposed to get 100mg a day. The vet said it was okay if I went a
little over. According to the marks on the bag, I let it go 150mg, but
he didn't have as much of a pooch as the time before. And I know some
went on the floor. And the little vial between the bag and the hose
seemed more full this time. I think I am going to go over on each
amount, run out early, and go back for more sooner. I'm going to do it
by myself today and see if I can't do it better.

If he isn't getting fluids twice daily, I would call the vet and see

if
that's possible.

She said once a day, but if he doesn't seem better by tomorrow night, I
will call Monday morning and ask if I can up to twice a day.

Oh, and at this point, also, let him eat whatever he wants. If he

will
eat tuna, let him. Or cook him some chicken, turkey or fish. A

little
pure protein might stimulate his appetite.

Yes, I am offering him his favorites. I am opening the canned food more
often so he can lick off the fresh gravy. I also bought him some
shrimp. I bought some chicken to cook up today. I got thigh meat so
that it is a little more fattening. I also bought a cheesecake since he
likes that a lot. I don't have much to lose, so he might as well be
happy.