question about feral cats

Old May 5th 05, 11:14 PM
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

Default question about feral cats

We have a family of six feral cats that live in and around our
backyard. There is the MomCat, her three kittens, and a male and female
cat that appear to have been from the same litter as MomCat; they are
all very close. I am wondering what would happen to these cats were we
to move ?

Thanks,
Shell

Old May 5th 05, 11:17 PM
Philip

UsedtobeRumouredToBe wrote:
We have a family of six feral cats that live in and around our
backyard. There is the MomCat, her three kittens, and a male and
female cat that appear to have been from the same litter as MomCat;
they are all very close. I am wondering what would happen to these
cats were we to move ?

Thanks,
Shell

The parents were looking for a handout when they found you. I'm sure they
can teach the offspring how to find another host. Or, you can round them up
and give them to an adoption group or ... take 'em with you.

Old May 6th 05, 01:26 AM
Gail

It would be sad to leave them to their own devices (foraging for food) if
you were to move. Could you catch them, spay/neuter, and bring the kittens
in (at least) for adoption?
Gail
oups.com...

Old May 6th 05, 02:08 AM
Phil P.

"UsedtobeRumouredToBe" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a family of six feral cats that live in and around our
backyard. There is the MomCat, her three kittens, and a male and female
cat that appear to have been from the same litter as MomCat; they are
all very close. I am wondering what would happen to these cats were we
to move ?

They would probably be trapped and killed by Animal Control. Ferals are
classified as wild and unadoptable by most Animal Control agencies and
shelters and immediately killed upon arrival.

Why not simply trap the cats, neuter and release the mom and try to find
homes for the kittens? Feral kittens are usually quite tamable-- some adult
ferals are, too- especially females since they usually have smaller home
ranges than males. Many areas have mobile neuter clinics that neuter ferals
free or at substantially reduced fees.

You could also contact a feral cat TNR (trap/neuter/return) group in your
area for help. If you let me know your area, I'll try to locate a group
close to you.

You could probably borrow a livetrap from your local shelter or animal
control agency; some require a small deposit which is refunded when the trap
is returned.

Phil

Old May 6th 05, 04:32 PM
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

Gail & Phil, actually all of the outside cats have been
spayed/neutered. It's not likely that we'll be moving anytime soon, so
the cats will be safe as long as I'm around.

Old May 6th 05, 07:12 PM
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

Gail, not only do my wife and I feed the feral cats, we let them have
the run of the house :-)

Old May 6th 05, 07:21 PM
Biskybabe

On 2005-05-06 11:12:37 -0700, "UsedtobeRumouredToBe"
said:

Gail, not only do my wife and I feed the feral cats, we let them have
the run of the house :-)

Hey! So do we.

Our kittens were trapped feral and their momma still lives in our yard.
She has learned how to knock on the back door to be let in.

She's a great cat. It's hard to explain to some people that you have
this "pet" cat that you can touch. They somehow think that if she's not
purring in your lap she's not really a pet.

bisky