Another Veterinary Appointment for Buffy

Old April 16th 21, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Another Veterinary Appointment for Buffy

On 4/16/2021 12:03 AM, Tigger wrote:
cshenk wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

There is also a liquid antibiotic that worked well on gushy food.
Daisy-chan used it at times as even the vets couldn't pill her.

I've used an eyedropper, holding the cat much as for getting a pill down
(hold head from
behind, thumb and middle finger where the jaws hinge). A quick squirt
and done with
minimal blood loss (on my part).

Yes, I have various size eyedroppers and most of the liquid medication
comes with one.

Jill
Old April 16th 21, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk[_4_]

Tigger wrote:

cshenk wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

There is also a liquid antibiotic that worked well on gushy food.
Daisy-chan used it at times as even the vets couldn't pill her.

I've used an eyedropper, holding the cat much as for getting a pill
down (hold head from behind, thumb and middle finger where the jaws
hinge). A quick squirt and done with minimal blood loss (on my part).

LOL, Daisy-chan was a true feral, (not the joke, 'ohh I found her
outside must be feral') and that does NOT work.

No, not even the vet could do that.

Smile, I get to laugh now but it wasn't that funny to get 'free nail
clipping' for the safety of the vet. Nor was it funny to see the had
ski masks (Haloween movie type) and metal 'gloves' to the shoulders for
a few years at the vets.

She did calm down with us pretty fast but Lord help the vets and staff!
I think she was 18 before she calmed down enough for them and just
snarled.
Old April 16th 21, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/16/2021 12:43 AM, cshenk wrote:
Tigger wrote:

cshenk wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

There is also a liquid antibiotic that worked well on gushy food.
Daisy-chan used it at times as even the vets couldn't pill her.

I've used an eyedropper, holding the cat much as for getting a pill
down (hold head from behind, thumb and middle finger where the jaws
hinge). A quick squirt and done with minimal blood loss (on my part).

LOL, Daisy-chan was a true feral, (not the joke, 'ohh I found her
outside must be feral') and that does NOT work.

No, not even the vet could do that.

Smile, I get to laugh now but it wasn't that funny to get 'free nail
clipping' for the safety of the vet. Nor was it funny to see the had
ski masks (Haloween movie type) and metal 'gloves' to the shoulders for
a few years at the vets.

That's definitely not just a scared to be at the vet cat!

She did calm down with us pretty fast but Lord help the vets and staff!
I think she was 18 before she calmed down enough for them and just
snarled.

Buffy was a feral cat. There is a feral cat colony where I live and she
was born into it. She was part of a TNR program. The difference is,
her former slave saw her notched ear and scooped her up when she was
about 5 months old, took her inside and Buffy quickly turned into an
indoor cat.

I have liquid pain medication to give her but given she just had teeth
extracted the idea of holding her jaw like that is a bit intimidating.
I'll manage because I love her and don't want her to be in pain but it's
a bit nerve-wracking. I need to see if I can get her to eat a little
something before I try to give her the first syringe of pain meds.

Jill
Old April 17th 21, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk[_4_]

Tigger wrote:

cshenk wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

There is also a liquid antibiotic that worked well on gushy
food. Daisy-chan used it at times as even the vets couldn't
pill her.

I've used an eyedropper, holding the cat much as for getting a
pill down (hold head from behind, thumb and middle finger where
the jaws hinge). A quick squirt and done with minimal blood loss
(on my part).

LOL, Daisy-chan was a true feral, (not the joke, 'ohh I found her
outside must be feral') and that does NOT work.

No, not even the vet could do that.

Smile, I get to laugh now but it wasn't that funny to get 'free nail
clipping' for the safety of the vet. Nor was it funny to see the
had ski masks (Haloween movie type) and metal 'gloves' to the
shoulders for a few years at the vets.

That's definitely not just a scared to be at the vet cat!

Nope, Daisy-chan was not even a colony cat. Full on feral, probably
minumum 7 years wild but may have been 11. Rare to find such still
alive, much less one able to shift them to indoor happy cat. She beat
all odds for survival since ferals of her ilk seldom last more than 5
years.

She did calm down with us pretty fast but Lord help the vets and
staff! I think she was 18 before she calmed down enough for them
and just snarled.

Buffy was a feral cat. There is a feral cat colony where I live and
she was born into it. She was part of a TNR program. The
difference is, her former slave saw her notched ear and scooped her
up when she was about 5 months old, took her inside and Buffy quickly
turned into an indoor cat.

Smile, so happy to see that! She was younger. That's probably why she
adapted better. Very happy to see that!

A lot of people get 'feral' very wrong. They try to lable a cat found
outside and skittish as feral, but as you know, that's not really
accurate.

I have liquid pain medication to give her but given she just had
teeth extracted the idea of holding her jaw like that is a bit
intimidating. I'll manage because I love her and don't want her to be
in pain but it's a bit nerve-wracking. I need to see if I can get
her to eat a little something before I try to give her the first
syringe of pain meds.

Try a touch in soft food and see if she will eat a little of it? Maybe
a favored treat? Once it numbs her down a bit, she will eat more.
Old April 21st 21, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/20/2021 6:17 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
Buffy's left eye has been teary over the four days or so. I noticed she
stopped eating her dry kibble, which she absolutely loves. She will
only eat the gooshy food but even then not enthusiastically. Then I
noticed her cheek under her left eye appears to be swollen. I think the
poor girl has a toothache!

The soonest appointment I could get is next Tuesday. I let my boss know
I'll be late to work because I have to drop her off first. (He's such a
great guy: "Of course, do whatever you need to do!")

The vet will contact me to let me know what's going on. Hopefully I'll
be able to pick her up when I get off work in the afternoon. I'd hate
for her to have to stay overnight. If they have to pull a tooth I do
hope they can provide liquid pain medicine and/or antibiotics to give
her. I'd hate to attempt to pill a cat with a sore mouth. Purrs for
Buffy would be appreciated.

Jill

I'm so sorry Jill, I've only just seen your post. my computer was out of
action. Purrs for Buffy.

Judith

Thank you. Computers are a PITA sometimes! Still, if not for that I
never would have met you or any of the nice people here.

Jill