hyperthyroidism

Old October 18th 14, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default hyperthyroidism

On 10/16/2014 10:59 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
Pit2nya has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
I had her in for a blood and urine test, thinking possible
diabetes,
because she seemed to have been passing more urine...
litter box clumping litter showing more and larger clumps.
The good news is no diabetes. The bad news hyperthyroidism
in my laid-back sleeps-a-lot cat! Who Knew? Good thing
I brought her in for testing. She had her yearly physical a month
ago, but no lab tests at that time seemed necessary to our vet.

I'm hoping the pills are small one only once a day.
Does anyone here have a cat with the same?
Any helpful info?

Thanks In Advance,

Sylvia

Persia was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2010. The pills were
small. They also make a transdermal gel which you can rub into her ear.
It comes in a tube with pre-measured doses; just turn the dial the
correct number of clicks for her dosage, rub the gel on the inside of
her ear. Voila, it's done!

Naturally Persia had to complicate matters by being allergic to the
medication...

Jill
Persia RB 8/8/2014
Old October 18th 14, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/17/2014 11:38 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
"Sylvia M" wrote in message
Pit2nya has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
I had her in for a blood and urine test, thinking possible
diabetes,
because she seemed to have been passing more urine...
litter box clumping litter showing more and larger clumps.
The good news is no diabetes. The bad news hyperthyroidism
in my laid-back sleeps-a-lot cat! Who Knew? Good thing
I brought her in for testing. She had her yearly physical a
month ago, but no lab tests at that time seemed necessary to our
vet.

I'm hoping the pills are small one only once a day.
Does anyone here have a cat with the same?
Any helpful info?

Thanks In Advance,

Sylvia

Thanks to all for your responses.
They made me feel better as to long term prognosis.
I picked up the prescription today. It is Methimazole 5 mg, a thin
1/4th inch circumference pill with a slit in the middle, which is
a good thing, as I am to give it to Pit2nya in half pill doses 2x
a day 12 hours apart.
After one month she'll be re-bloodtested. At that time I'm going
to ask about Tapazole, the squishy chicken-flavored "pill". I
think I'll ask if there is a generic as well, since this seems to
be a long term commitment, from what I am reading here. Too bad I
can't get it filled at Kaiser pharmacies (I don't think.)

And does her Pet Insurance cover hyperthyroidism? :'-( Nope.
Diabetes yes, contagious diseases yes, UTI yes, accidents yes. Oh
well, I don't wish any of these on her for the sake of collecting
expenses.

Now to pill her at 9 p.m. and 9 a.m. for at least the next 30
days.

Sylvia

Methimazole is the same thing as Tapazole; Tapazole is what
pharmaceutical companies call the human equivalent of the same medication.

And no, sorry, you couldn't get her meds filled at Kaiser; they'd have
to have some indication from YOUR medical records you have hyperthyroidism.

Jill
Old October 18th 14, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
[...]

The funny thing is, I am in a wait-and-see time. My ENT Dr (I
know, they are not called that any more) found some nodules on my
thyroid gland. After testing and imaging, the endocrinologist
said we have no idea how long they have been there, and it
wouldn't hurt to consider these Base results. I'll be re-tested
after 6 months. If significant changes are found, I might be
joining Pet2nya on meds.

Last night I went online to research for Pit2nya, after not having
done that for myself;-)
I'm concerned about her/my kidneys being effected, She is
urinating more in recent weeks. Not I, I don't really drink enough
water, though I should.
Neither of us act hyper???

Sylvia

Old October 18th 14, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I'll check with vet in a month, especially if I find it hard to
pill her. She detected the 1/2 pill hidden in some Laughing Cow
creamy cheese, which she loves. Rolled it around her mouth,
tongued it a bit then seemed to think "Oh well".

Sylvia

Old October 18th 14, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/18/2014 3:13 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

Methimazole is the same thing as Tapazole; Tapazole is what
pharmaceutical companies call the human equivalent of the same
medication.

And no, sorry, you couldn't get her meds filled at Kaiser;
they'd have to have some indication from YOUR medical records
you have hyperthyroidism.

Jill

The funny thing is, I am in a wait-and-see time. My ENT Dr (I
know, they are not called that any more) found some nodules on my
thyroid gland. After testing and imaging, the endocrinologist
said we have no idea how long they have been there, and it
wouldn't hurt to consider these Base results. I'll be re-tested
after 6 months. If significant changes are found, I might be
joining Pet2nya on meds.

I hope not! But it's not uncommon, I suppose.

Last night I went online to research for Pit2nya, after not having
done that for myself;-)
I'm concerned about her/my kidneys being effected, She is
urinating more in recent weeks. Not I, I don't really drink enough
water, though I should.
Neither of us act hyper???

Sylvia

Persia has always consumed a lot of water so I really didn't notice she
was drinking or urinating more. But, did become *very* hyper... she
suddenly developed a major case of the zoomies every day. (At first I
thought it was because the weather was nice and cool and I had the
windows open; that always perks me up!) Then she started dropping
weight at a rather alarming rate. For years she was what is
euphemistically called "fluffy" (15 lbs.) It became obvious she was
losing weight so off to the vet she went.

Did you happen to read where I posted the medication for cats is also
available as a transdermal gel? Pre-measured doses in a tube. 30 day
supply, IIRC. You just rub the dose inside her ear as directed. If you
find it difficult to pill Pit2nya this might be a good solution.

Purrs for both of you!

Jill
Old October 18th 14, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/18/2014 3:17 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Good luck with the pilling! Persia used to think pills in Greenies Pill
Pockets were fine until she realized hmmmm, she doesn't give me treats.
What's she up to?

The gel would have been perfect if Persia wasn't allergic to the
medication in *any* form. I had to resort to drastic (and very
expensive) radioactive isotope therapy (a one-time treatment), which is
only done at a very few specially licensed clinics. I was lucky there
was such a clinic within a 200 mile radius. Otherwise I'd have lost her
in 2010 rather than 2014.

Jill
Old October 18th 14, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

It's good that you got to enjoy each other for another four years!

I plan to ask about the ear cream in a month, sooner if pilling
becomes impossible.
Even if not, the radioactive isotope therapy was mentioned, and
might not be any more expensive that often blood tests and
continuous medication. And it's a one time fix...hmmm... I'll
also ask about pricing for that. The vet visit and blood and urine
testing came to over $300. Cost is not everything, but a one time
fix might be the best route.
I'll keep all of this in mind when I next visit my endocrinologist
as well ;-)
Sylvia

Old October 18th 14, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

Pit2nya does like to have her ears rubbed, I'll ask during her
next month
visit, if not needed before, (and I also added below)
Waiting for the 9 pm pilling.....
Sylvia

Old October 18th 14, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Radioactive Isotope Treatment hyperthyroidism

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

It's a one time fix but it cost me $900 plus two weeks boarding costs
which were quite high since they can't keep radioactive cats in with the
regular patients at clinic. They have to have special containment
centers; they stay in shielded isolation.

Persia had to stay there for 2 weeks. They recommended four weeks but
the bill was going up and the minimum was two weeks. I was ready to
bring her home. So I called the vet and she cleared her to come home
after two weeks.

Bringing her home was an adventure, too. I was told not to touch her
for 2 weeks. Uh, what? (*She's radioactive*) Only touch her while
wearing rubber gloves. Uh yeah, right.

I didn't have a problem wearing rubber gloves to empty and refill the
litterbox every day. But no, I'm not telling my cat she can't sleep
next to me when she's been at the vet for 2 weeks. And I'm not wearing
rubber gloves to bed. Hey, I didn't wind up glowing in the dark. :-D

I'll also ask about pricing for that. The vet visit and blood and urine
testing came to over $300. Cost is not everything, but a one time
fix might be the best route.

I don't know where you live. Feline radioactive isotope treatment may
be difficult to find. It definitely won't be covered by your pet insurance.

I'll keep all of this in mind when I next visit my endocrinologist
as well ;-)
Sylvia

Best of luck to you.

Jill
Persia, RB 8/8/2014

Jill
Old October 19th 14, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I picked up the prescription today. It is Methimazole 5 mg, a thin
1/4th inch circumference pill with a slit in the middle, which is
a good thing, as I am to give it to Pit2nya in half pill doses 2x
a day 12 hours apart.

That's double the normal starting dose.

There are a LOT of cautions about cutting felimazole/methimazole
tablets. Because they're usually enteric-coated, the cat will get
a huge spike in blood level of the medication from taking a broken
tablet. And the drug is very easily absorbed through the skin -
there have been cases of cat owners going hypothyroid from handling
broken tablets without gloves. Dosages for cats and people are in
the same range, odd as that sounds.

If the pills are enteric-coated, leave them intact. Dosage levels
will be a lot steadier with one coated tablet a day than with two
half-tablets.