hyperthyroidism

Old October 19th 14, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default hyperthyroidism

"Sylvia M" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/16/2014 10:59 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
Pit2nya has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
I had her in for a blood and urine test, thinking possible
diabetes,
because she seemed to have been passing more urine...
litter box clumping litter showing more and larger clumps.
The good news is no diabetes. The bad news hyperthyroidism
in my laid-back sleeps-a-lot cat! Who Knew? Good thing
I brought her in for testing. She had her yearly physical a month
ago, but no lab tests at that time seemed necessary to our vet.

I'm hoping the pills are small one only once a day.
Does anyone here have a cat with the same?
Any helpful info?

Thanks In Advance,

Sylvia

Persia was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2010. The pills were small.
They also make a transdermal gel which you can rub into her ear. It comes
in a tube with pre-measured doses; just turn the dial the correct number
of clicks for her dosage, rub the gel on the inside of her ear. Voila,
it's done!

Naturally Persia had to complicate matters by being allergic to the
medication...

Jill
Persia RB 8/8/2014

I'll check with vet in a month, especially if I find it hard to pill her.
She detected the 1/2 pill hidden in some Laughing Cow creamy cheese, which
she loves. Rolled it around her mouth, tongued it a bit then seemed to
think "Oh well".

Sylvia

so you didn't crush it enough. Take two teaspoons. Put the pill on one,
then put the other tps on top and bear down to crush the pill.
Of course she's going to notice a half pill in her food.

Old October 19th 14, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Sylvia M" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

As others have said, those pills are *VERY* bitter. Crushing them is
just going to make the treat taste worse.

Jill
Old October 20th 14, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 20:38:07 -0700, "Sylvia M"

wrote:

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
Pit2nya has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
I had her in for a blood and urine test, thinking possible
diabetes,
because she seemed to have been passing more urine...
litter box clumping litter showing more and larger clumps.
The good news is no diabetes. The bad news hyperthyroidism
in my laid-back sleeps-a-lot cat! Who Knew? Good thing
I brought her in for testing. She had her yearly physical a
month ago, but no lab tests at that time seemed necessary to
our
vet.

I'm hoping the pills are small one only once a day.
Does anyone here have a cat with the same?
Any helpful info?

Thanks In Advance,

Sylvia

Thanks to all for your responses.
They made me feel better as to long term prognosis.
I picked up the prescription today. It is Methimazole 5 mg, a
thin
1/4th inch circumference pill with a slit in the middle, which
is
a good thing, as I am to give it to Pit2nya in half pill doses
2x
a day 12 hours apart.
After one month she'll be re-bloodtested. At that time I'm
going
to ask about Tapazole, the squishy chicken-flavored "pill". I
think I'll ask if there is a generic as well, since this seems
be a long term commitment, from what I am reading here. Too bad
can't get it filled at Kaiser pharmacies (I don't think.)

And does her Pet Insurance cover hyperthyroidism? :'-( Nope.
Diabetes yes, contagious diseases yes, UTI yes, accidents yes.
Oh
well, I don't wish any of these on her for the sake of
collecting
expenses.

Now to pill her at 9 p.m. and 9 a.m. for at least the next 30
days.

Sylvia

I have a cat who is taking this medication twice daily, with
insulin
at the same time. I put the tablets in pill pockets and she
gobbles
them right up.

I'll try to get some tomorrow at PetCo, if not the vet's.
Sylvia

Old October 20th 14, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
[...]

Don't get too many, though. They may not work. Waffles scarfed down
empty pill pockets, but he wouldn't touch one that had a pill in it. I
tried several times. Cats are all different, and different things work
for different cats.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old October 20th 14, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

wrote:

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
[...]

LOL
I'm almost sure that Pit2nya would sniff it first.
Oops, almost 9 pm here in California.
I'll try the sardine approach...she's sniffing...
NOPE!
I had to drop it down her throat,
and she tried hard to dislodge it,
but I stroked her throat...so I won ...this time.

Sylvia

Old October 20th 14, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

Default Radioactive Isotope Treatment hyperthyroidism

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/18/2014 6:13 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/18/2014 3:17 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Good luck with the pilling! Persia used to think pills in
Greenies Pill Pockets were fine until she realized hmmmm, she
doesn't give me treats. What's she up to?

The gel would have been perfect if Persia wasn't allergic to
the
medication in *any* form. I had to resort to drastic (and
very
expensive) radioactive isotope therapy (a one-time treatment),
which is only done at a very few specially licensed clinics.
was lucky there was such a clinic within a 200 mile radius.
Otherwise I'd have lost her in 2010 rather than 2014.

Jill

It's good that you got to enjoy each other for another four
years!

I plan to ask about the ear cream in a month, sooner if pilling
becomes impossible.
Even if not, the radioactive isotope therapy was mentioned,
and
might not be any more expensive that often blood tests and
continuous medication. And it's a one time fix...hmmm...

It's a one time fix but it cost me $900 plus two weeks boarding
costs which were quite high since they can't keep radioactive
cats in with the regular patients at clinic. They have to have
special containment centers; they stay in shielded isolation.

Persia had to stay there for 2 weeks. They recommended four
weeks but the bill was going up and the minimum was two weeks.
I was ready to bring her home. So I called the vet and she
cleared her to come home after two weeks.

Bringing her home was an adventure, too. I was told not to
touch her for 2 weeks. Uh, what? (*She's radioactive*) Only
touch her while wearing rubber gloves. Uh yeah, right.

I didn't have a problem wearing rubber gloves to empty and
refill the litterbox every day. But no, I'm not telling my cat
she can't sleep next to me when she's been at the vet for 2
weeks. And I'm not wearing rubber gloves to bed. Hey, I didn't
wind up glowing in the dark. :-D

I'll also ask about pricing for that. The vet visit and blood
and urine
testing came to over $300. Cost is not everything, but a one
time
fix might be the best route.

I don't know where you live. Feline radioactive isotope
treatment may be difficult to find. It definitely won't be
covered by your pet insurance.

I'll keep all of this in mind when I next visit my
endocrinologist
as well ;-)
Sylvia

Best of luck to you.

Jill
Persia, RB 8/8/2014

Jill

Found one in L.A., just over the hill, 20min to 30min to one hr by
freeway,
depending on time of day.
Probably the one my vet would/will send her to.

Sylvia

Old October 20th 14, 07:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
[...]

When I had to give Waffles (RB) his chemo pills, I found it helped to
coat the pill with butter or margarine. That makes it go down easier.

Good luck!

Joy (also in California)

Old October 20th 14, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/20/2014 12:54 AM, Sylvia M wrote:
Found one in L.A., just over the hill, 20min to 30min to one hr by
freeway,
depending on time of day.
Probably the one my vet would/will send her to.

Sylvia

Lucky you! I live in the sticks.

Jill
Old October 20th 14, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

wrote:

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
[...]

I'll do that this morning...that's right now!

Sylvia

Old October 21st 14, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

wrote:

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
[...]

butter, no luck...the half pill started dissolving, Pit2nya would
have none of it...forced sown throat, spit out popped what was
left back in...oh well, she got some of it. Today I bought
greenie pill pockets. PetCo had them for a bit less that $9 for 45
count bags..Buy one get 2nd one free...yaaay!...Sooo I came home
and put an empty one on the floor (smelled good and was nice and
'squishy) I said yum, yum...she sniffed and walked away with her
tail high.
We'll see tonite at 9 p.m.

Sylvia